Littleton on Servern is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire
Parish registers begin: 1701
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Littleton-on-Severn
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
Parishes adjacent to Littleton-on-Severn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
LITTLETON-UPON-SEVERN, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; on the river Severn, 3 miles W of Thornbury, and 4¼ NNE of New Passage r. station. Post town, Almondsbury, under Bristol. Acres, 1,665; of which 690 are water. Real property, £1,793; of which £15 are in fisheries. Pop., 195. Houses, 41. The property is divided among a few. The manor and most of the land belong to R. Lippincott, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £52. Patron, R. Lippincott, Esq. The church is early English, in good condition; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; and has a Norman font.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Littleton-upon-Severn, 2 m. W. Thornbury. P. 195
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Littleton-upon-Severn, co. Gloucester. P. T. Thornbury (120) 2 m. W. Pop. 133.
A parish in the lower division of the hundred of Langley and Swineshead; living, a dis. rectory in the archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Bristol; valued in K.B. 11l. 4s. 9½d.; ann. val. P. R. 62l.; patron (1829) Sir H. C. Lippincott, Bart.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Littleton-on-Severn Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
Littleton-on-Severn is a parish, 12 miles north from Bristol, 10 south-west from Charfield, 5 from Almondsbury, and 3 from Thornbury, in Langley and Swineshead hundred, Thornbury union and county court district, West Gloucestershire, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Bristol, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; it is situated on the navigable river Severn. The church (name unknown) is an old stone building in the Early English style; it has a tower, nave, aisle, porch, chancel, organ, 2 bells, and an ancient Norman font. The living is a rectory, value £52, with residence, in the gift of R. C. Lippincott, Esq.; the Rev. Arthur Rainey Ludlow, M.A., of Oriel College, Oxford, is the incumbent. There is a school for the children of the parish, supported by subscription. The population in 1801 was 195; the acreage is 903. R. C. Lippincott, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
Ludlow Rev. Arthur Rainey, [rector] M.A.
Collins Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Gough Samuel, farmer
Jones Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Jones James, shopkeeper
Jones Robert, farmer
Jones William (Mrs.), farmer
Keen Charles, farmer
Olive Henry A. farmer
Simmons Daniel, carpenter & builder
Stafford George, farmer
Stiff Hannah & Caroline (Misses), farmrs
Taylor Joseph, farmer
Taylor William Robert, farmer
Williams Thomas, beer retailer
Wintle George, coal merchant, drain & horticultural pottery works
Letters are received through Almondsbury. The nearest money order office is at Thornbury
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Thornbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Thornbury
- Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
- Province: Canterbury