Littledean is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1684
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Independent/Congregational.
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Littledean
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
Parishes adjacent to Littledean
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DEAN (Little), a village and a parish in Westbury-on-Severn district, Gloucester. The village stands on the east verge of Dean Forest, near the South Wales railway, 2 miles NW of Newnham; has a post office under Newnham, a curious ancient cross, and fairs on Whit-Monday and 26 Nov.; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 510 acres. Real property, £2,320. Pop., 887. Houses, 165. The property is much subdivided. Coal and iron ore are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £200. Patrons, the Corporation of Gloucester. The church is later English. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £25.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Little Dean Gloucestershire Universal British Directory 1791
Little Dean is three miles distant from Great Dean; it is a very small town, on the verge of the forest, and had formerly a market. The only branch of manufacture carried on here is making of nails; and those made in this place are esteemed superior to most in the kingdom. Contiguous to this town, has been lately built a penitentiary-house and bridewell for the forest-division of the county. Newenham is the post-town. – the following are the principal inhabitants:
Brookes William, Gent. (F.)
Cullimore William, Esq.
Evans – , Gent.
Morton William, Esq.
Pyrke Joseph Watkyns, Esq. (F.)
Frier Rev. William, Curate
Webb Rev. Benjamin, (F.) Vicar of Dean
Robinson Philip, (F.) Proprietor of capital Coal and Nail-works
Boughton Joseph, Timber-merchant
Taylor Thomas, (F.) Nailor
Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 2.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Westbury on Severn
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Westbury on Severn
- Hundred: St Briavels
- Province: Canterbury