Kingswood (near Bristol) is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1821 from Bitton Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1822
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Moravian/United Brethren, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Kingswood (near Bristol)
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KINGSWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Bitton parish, Gloucester. The village stands near the Bristol and Gloucester railway, between Stapleton and Mangotsfield stations, 3½ miles NE by E of Bristol; and has a post office under Bristol. The chapelry was constituted in 1821. Pop., 4,699. Houses, 986. The property is much subdivided. The land was anciently a royal chase or forest, or literally a King's wood. Most of the inhabitants are employed in collieries and shoe making; and some in market gardens. A great work of religions reformation was done here under the preaching of Wesley and Whitefield; and a classical school, for the sons of preachers, was established by Wesley. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a square structure, in the pointed style, with a tower 90 feet high; and has a handsome interior, and a stone pulpit. There are an Independent chapel, national schools, and the Bristol reformatory.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Kingswood, co. Gloucester,
P. T. Bristol (114) 2½ m. E. Pop. with Bitton.
An irregularly built village, called also Kingswood Hill, partly within the parish of St. George, Bristol, and partly within that of Bitton, in the upper division of the hundred of Langley and Swineshead, and anciently a part of the royal forest, or chase of Kingswood. Here are numerous coal mines, many of which are of great depth; and from this neighbourhood the city of Bristol was formerly entirely supplied with fuel. It was at this place that John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, in an early period of his religious career, began preaching to the colliers; and he is said to have effected a considerable reformation of conduct among the dissolute population of Kingswood. There is still subsisting here a seminary, called the Wesleyan School, instituted by Mr. Wesley, in 1748, for the support and classical education of 100 boys, the sons of Methodist ministers. The establishment is under the direction of a governor and six assistant-teachers; and it is chiefly supported by annual contributions. At Bitton are extensive paper-mills.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Lear Francis, Kingswood hill, Gloucestershire, grocer. Dec. 4, 1832.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Keynsham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Keynsham
- Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
- Province: Canterbury