Kempsford is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Dunfield, Whelford, Welford, and Horcutt.
Parish registers begin: 1573
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Kempsford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KEMPSFORD, a village and a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Thames, at the boundary with Wilts, adjacent to the Thames and Severn canal, 3 miles S of Fairford, and 10 NW of Shrivenham r. station; is supposed to have occupied the site of a Roman settlement; and has a postoffice under Swindon. The parish contains also the hamlets of Dunfield, Horcutt, and Welford. Acres, 4,790. Real property, £6,924. Pop., 1,007. Houses, 222. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to Earl Harold; was held, at Domesday, by Ernnlf de Hesding; passed to the Chaworths, the Despencers, the Dukes of Lancaster, the Thynnes, and the Lords Coleraine; and belongs now to Sir Gilbert East, Bart. A castle was built on it by the Thynnes, but has nearly disappeared. A battle is said to have been fought here, about 800, between the Wiccii of Gloucestershire and the Walsati of Wilts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £700. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was built in the 11th century; altered about the middle of the 14th century, by Henry Duke of Lancaster; was recently in part restored; and has a remarkably fine central tower. There are a Roman Catholic chapel and an endowed school with £10 a year.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Kempsford, 1 m. S. Fairford. P. 998
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Tombs John, Kempsford, Gloucestershire. cattle dealer, Dec. 19, 1828.
The registers of Kempsford, Co. Gloucester. 1653-1700.
Published 1887 Printed at the private press of F. A. Crisp in [London].
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Fairford
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Brightwells Barrow
- Province: Canterbury