Kempley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1637
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Kempley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
KEMPLEY, a parish in Newent district, Gloucester; adjacent to Hereford, 5 miles NW of Newent, and 6 SW by S of Ledbury r. station. Post town, Dymock, under Gloucester. Acres, 1,564. Real property, £2,247. Pop., 311. Houses, 71. The property is divided among a few. The manor and much of the land belong to Earl Beauchamp. Stone-House, formerly the manor house, is large, and of the 16th century; contains some very fine oak carving; and is now used as a farm house. Cider and perry are largely made. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £204. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford. The church is ancient, with good points, but needs to be restored; contains a Norman arch, between the nave and the chancel; and has a tower much out of the perpendicular, and formerly surmounted by a spire. A national school was about to be built in 1866. Charities, £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Kempley, 3 m. S.W. Ledbury. P. 342
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Newent
- Probate Court: Post-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Hereford
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Newent
- Hundred: Botloe
- Province: Canterbury