Kemerton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Nicholas
Parish registers begin: 1572
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Kemerton
- Bredon, Worcestershire
- Eckington, Worcestershire
- Great Comberton, Worcestershire
- Overbury, Worcestershire
- Bredon's Norton, Worcestershire
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Kemerton, a village and a parish in Tewkesbury district, Gloucester. The village stands near a small affluent of the Avon, amid hills commanding extensive views, adjacent to Worcestershire, 1½ mile E of Bredon r. station, and 5 NE of Tewkesbury; and has a post office under Tewkesbury. The parish comprises 1,627 acres. Real property, £3,709. Pop., 559. Houses, 135. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Kemerton Court, belongs to the Hoptons. Excellent freestone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £600. Patron, not reported. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1847; is in the decorated English style; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, a national school, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Prior William, Kemerton, Gloucestershire, bleacher, June 29, 1827.
Marriages at Kemerton 1575 to 1812
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.
Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The registers of the parish of Kemerton are in three parchment volumes, all in good preservation. Vol. I measures 11 ½ by 7 ½ in., and has 110 pages, the first 82 only being numbered. The first page is mostly palimpsest, the older reddish-brown ink being seen through or near the newer and blacker ink. It is headed, in a black letter hand, “Regist’. Ecclie’. Parochiae de Kenmertone, An’o Domini, 1572”; and the entries continue from that year to the end of 1720. Each year is perfect: but there are no entries for 1589-95. The pages, or years, are signed by the then Rector and two Churchwardens, entered before 1610 as Guardians.
On one of the two paper fly-leaves at the beginning of this volume is written, “30 leaves, paied for this booke 3s. 4d.,” and under this, “There was a marriage in ye Church the 9 July 1641 nott sett downe.” On the other leafe, “30 leves. I payde for this booke iijs. Iiijd.” Under this, “More leafes since added, which make up in ye whole, the number of 80 pages.” Lower down, “Thomas ye sonne of John Farley and Mary his wife baptised Wenesday June ye 17.63,” and entry omitted in its proper place. There are several trial signatures of Joh. Hinman, Rector, 1648-74, and in his handwriting the text, written twice and smudged over, “Let me die the death of the righteous.”
Several blank leaves have been cut out, a small portion of them being still left, and nearly half of the last page has been cut away lengthwise, and on the remaining portion a list of the Rectors, with the dates of their burial or death. Among them occurs the name of Dr. Godfrey Goodman (Rector 1630), Bishop of Gloucester (1625), whose chequered career may be read in full in the Dictionary of National Biography. There is also on this page an entry concerning right of way.
Vol. II measures 9 ½ by 5 ½ in., and has 74 pages. It contains the Register of Baptisms and Burials from 1721 to April 1782 and of Marriages from 1721 to the end of 1755. After that date the Marriages are registered in books of printed forms.
Vol. III measures 11 ½ by 7 ½ in., and 36 of its pages are occupied with Baptisms and Burials from March 1782 to the end of 1812.
The Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. J. J. Mercier, Rector of Kemerton, and are now printed by his permission and under his supervision.
Kemerton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Kemerton is a township, village and parish, 5 miles north-east from Tewkesbury, and 1 ½ east from Bredon station, on the Birmingham and Bristol line, in the lower division of Tewkesbury Hundred, Tewkesbury Union, east Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The village is situated in a delightfully picturesque locality, surrounded by hills commanding extensive views, and near the brook Carrant, which runs into the river Avon, and on the high road from Tewkesbury to Evesham. The church of St. Nicholas was rebuilt about 1850 (except the tower) with stone. It is a handsome structure, in the decorated or third pointed style, and consists of a nave, with two aisles, porch, chancel, and square tower containing 6 bells and a clock. The interior is highly decorated, and has a few modern mural tablets, removed at the time of the restoration of the church, from the chancel to the north aisle. The living is a rectory, worth £550 yearly, with residence, and about 300 acres of glebe land. The patronage is disputed by the corporation of Gloucester and the bishop; the Ven. Thomas Thorpe, B.D., archdeacon of Bristol, in the incumbent; and Rev. Charles Tebbott Heartley, M.A., is the curate. The Roman Catholics and Wesleyans have each a place of worship. There is a National school for 40 boys and 40 girls, built by the present rector, endowed with land to the amount of £6 10s. a year. Here is likewise a Roman Catholic school. On the summit of the Bredon Hill is an ancient Roman camp surrounded by a deep trench, also a piece of ground at a somewhat lower level evidently intended for military purposes. The population, in 1851, was 528; acreage, 1720. In the neighbourhood are good quarries: 1st stratum (top of hill), oolite limestone; 2nd, upper lias; 3rd, marlstone; 4th (valley), lower lias. The Rev. John Hopton, of Canon Frome, Herefordshire, whose eldest son, John Hopton, Esq., resides at Kemerton Court adjoining the village, is lord of the manor. There is another large house near the church, the property of Mr. Hopton, called the Upper Court; it is occupied by the Rev. F. H. Bennett. The chief landowners are Mr. Hopton, the rector, Mr. Mumford, and Mr. Tidmarsh. There are 7 acres of land, of £15 yearly value, left for the repair of the church; and one rood fifteen perches of land and a few small charitable gifts for the poor.
Bennett Rev. Fredk. Hamilton, Upper court
Grizzell Mr. James
Heartley Rev. Charles Tebbott, M.A.
Hopton John, esq. Kemerton court
Mumford George, esq.
Ridgeway Rev. Peter
Thorp the Ven. Archdeacon, B.D. Rectory
Tidmarsh Charles, esq.
Tidmarsh Richard, esq.
Baldwyn Bernard, farmer
Baylis Caleb, miller, Kemerton mill
Baylis William, farmer & maltster
Blake Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Buckle William, beer retailer
Butt Henry, farmer
Chew Fanny (Miss), mistress of National school
Franklin Henry, bleacher
Franklin Rebecca (Mrs.), beer retailer
Goodall John, butcher
Grizzell George, boot & shoe maker
Grizzell William, grocer & draper
Hampton Joseph, grocer & postmaster
Harris Caroline (Miss), mistress of the Catholic school
Hawker James, cooper
Hawker Mary Ann (Miss), shopkeeper
Heeks Henry, carrier
Herbert Samuel, miller
Hillman John, master of National school
James John, miller
Martin John, tailor
Martin Robert Spencer, surgeon
Martin William, tailor
Medows Thomas, beer retailer
Mumford William, wheelwright
Powell Samuel, farmer
Rivers James, land surveyor & school mstr
Smith David Charles, stonemsn. & shpkpr
Smith George, farmer
Smith James, carpenter & wheelwright
Tayler John, farmer
Taylor John, carpenter & builder
Webb George, beer retailer
White William, farmer
Williams Richard, blacksmith
Post Office. – Joseph Hampton, receiver. Letters arrive by foot post from Tewkesbury at 9 a.m.; dispatched 10 min. past 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Tewkesbury.
Public Officers: -
Registrar of Births & Death, John Martin Overbury
Relieving Office, William Brydges Tewkesbury
Parish Clerk, John Hillman
Places of Worship: -
Catholic Chapel, Rev. Peter Ridgeway, priest
St. Nicholas Church, the Ven. Thomas Thorpe, B.D. rector; Rev. Charles Tebbott Heartley, M.A. curate
Wesleyan Chapel. Ministers various
Public Schools: -
National, John Hillman, master; Miss Fanny Chew, mistress
Catholic, Miss Caroline Harris, mistress
Carrier. – Heeks, to Cheltenham, Thursday; to Tewkesbury, Wednesday & Saturday
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury
- Hundred: Tewkesbury
- Province: Canterbury