Horsley, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Horsley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Barton End, Chaseridge, Chavenage, Chaveridge, Down End, Latheredge, Walkley Wood, Newmarket, Nupp End, Rockness, Shortwood, Sugley, and Luther-edge.

Parish church: St. Martin

Parish registers begin: 1587

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Horsley

Historical Descriptions

Horsley

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HORSLEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Stroud district, Gloucester. The village stands under the Cotswolds, 3 miles SW of Minchinhampton, and 5 S of Stroud r. station; was once a market town, and a place of more importance than now; consists chiefly of old houses, irregularly built; and has a post office under Stroud, and a police station. The parish includes also the hamlet of Chaseridge, the village of Nailsworth, and the hamlets of Barton-End, Down-End, Newmarket, Rockness, Shortwood, Nupp-End, and Walkley-Wood. Acres, 4,082. Real property, exclusive of Nailsworth, £8,545; of which £10 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 2,931; in 1861, 2,558. Houses, 630. The decrease of pop. was caused by the closing of cloth mills. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Townsend Stephens, Esq. A Tudor manor house, with chapel attached, is at Chavenage. An ancient priory, a cell to St. Martin du Tours, stood near the church; passed to Bruton abbey, to the Dennys, and to the Stephenses; and is now represented by only a gateway. The woollen manufacture, though much declined, is still carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £199. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is perpendicular English; and consists of nave, transept, and chancel, with a tower. There is a chapel of ease at Shortwood. The p. curacy of Chaseridge is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed national school, and charities £100. The sub-district contains also the parish of Avening. Acres, 8,510. Pop., 4,628. Houses, 1,109.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Horsley, a parish and township in Longtree hund., union of Stroud, Gloucestershire; 3 miles south-west of Minchin-Hampton. Acres 4,480. Houses 799. A. P. £6,317. Pop., in 1801, 2,971; in 1831, 3,690. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £7 11s. 5½d., and returned at £80 3s.; gross income £133. Patron, the bishop of Gloucester. The church is a large building, with a handsome tower at the west end. Here are a Baptist church, formed in 1715; and 3 daily schools, one of which, the Horseley free-school, is endowed with property producing, in 1833, £54 6s. 4d. per annum, out of which the master and mistress are paid the sum of £25 per annum each, and are at liberty to charge for those children who learn to write on paper. Other charities, in 1827, £15 8s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £1,206 15s. Horseley was formerly a place of more importance than it is at present. The houses are aucient and irregularly built; and the inhabitants are partly employed in the woollen manufacture. In 1838, 9 woollen mills here employed 135 hands. Trade has declined so much in this parish, that the Hand-loom weavers' commissioner has recommended migration to the stripe weavers, as tbe mildest and best remedy in their permanently distressed circumstances. “Many weavers,” observes the commissioner, “have declared that they consider the condition of a prisoner to be superior to their own, inasmuch as he is supplied with food and clothing, and they can scarcely obtain either the one or the other.” Petty sessions for the district of Longtree are held here, and at Tetbury, and Rodborough, alternately. The county house of correction stands in this parish. It is enclosed by a high boundary wall, not overlooked by other buildings, and comprises 92 cells, 3 day-rooms, and 4 airing-yards. The principal means by which the inmates, who, in 1835, amounted to 353, are supplied with hard labour, is the tread-wheel. The weekly cost for food and clothing in this prison, is 2s. 4d. per head. Soon after the Conquest a priory was founded here, of which the only remaining part is an ancient gatewav standing near the church.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Chaveridge or Chevenage

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Chaveridge or Chevenage, a hamlet in Horsley, Gloucestershire parish, Gloucester; 2 miles NW of Tetbury, It has a chapel, served by a curate, with salary of £50, appointed by the lord of the manor. Chaveridge House is a Tudor edifice; was built by the Stephenses; and passed to the Phelpses. Chevenage Green is a meet for the Beaufort hounds.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Latheredge

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Latheredge, a hamlet in Horsley, Gloucestershire parish, Gloucester; 3 ½ miles SW of Minchinhampton.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Bennett Samuel, Horsley, Gloucestershire, flock merchant, April 19, 1833.

Hyde Lawrence, Horsley, Gloucestershire, cloth-worker, Dec. 26, 1828.

Smith William Browning, Horsley, Gloucestershire. clothier, Nov. 14, 1828.

Webb John, Nailsworth, Horsley, Gloucestershire, grocer, Dec. 5, 1826.

Parish Records

Birth Marriage and Death Records

England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991

England Marriages, 1538–1973 

England and Wales Birth Registration Index, 1837-2008

England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005

England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), 1588-1977

 

Great Britain Deaths and Burials, 1778-1988

Great Britain Marriages, 1797-1988

Great Britain, Births and Baptisms, 1571-1977

United Kingdom, Maritime Births, Marriages, and Deaths, 1787-1933

Grave Indexes

BillionGraves Index

Find A Grave Index

Migration and Naturalisation Records

Migration Records at FamilySearch

Newspaper Archives

British Newspaper Archive, Family Notices

British Newspaper Archives, Obituaries

Census Records

England and Wales Census, 1841

England and Wales Census, 1851

England and Wales Census, 1861

England and Wales Census, 1871

England and Wales Census, 1881

England and Wales Census, 1891

England and Wales Census, 1901

England and Wales National Register, 1939

Probate and Court Records

England and Wales, National Index of Wills and Administrations, 1858-1957

Military Records

Great Britain, War Office Registers, 1772-1935

United Kingdom, Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records, 1760-1913

United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941

United Kingdom, Militia Service Records, 1806-1915

United Kingdom, Royal Hospital Chelsea: Discharge Documents of Pensioners 1760-1887 (WO 122)

United Kingdom, World War I Service Records, 1914-1920

United Kingdom, World War I Women's Army Auxiliary Corps Records, 1917-1920

Marriages

Marriages at Horsley 1591-1811

Marriages at Horsley 1591-1811 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Horsley Marriages 1810 to 1812

Thomas Davis, p. Slimbridge, & Hester Clifford, lic., 16 Jan. 1810

John Rickets, w., & Elizabeth Elliots, 29 Jan. 1810

Samuel Sansom, p. Avening, & Martha Axon, 9 Mar. 1810

William Keynton, p. Tetbury, & Deborah Hillier, 27 Mar. 1810

John Baxter, w., & Elizabeth Teakle, 28 Mar. 1810

Thomas Harris & Elizabeth Matthews, 26 May 1810

Benjamin Wilkins & Elizabeth Hoskins, 5 June 1810

William Weight & Susannah Prout, 22 July 1810

Benjamin Adams & Ann Brown, alias Antill, 31 July 1810

Charles Risby & Sarah Tranter, 12 Aug. 1810

Samuel Hudson, p. Leonard Stanley, & Mary Dyer, 20 Sept. 1810

William Wrannels & Esther Gillman, 25 Oct. 1810

Richard Burford & Ann Clayfield, 23 Dec. 1810

Isaac Ricketts, w., & Jane Harvey, w., 7 Jan. 1811

Thomas Witchall & Miriam Curtiss, 14 Jan. 1811

Robert Teakle & Hannah Teakle, 11 Feb. 1811

Robert Nickols & Mary Brinkworth, 10 Mar. 1811

Isaac Shipton & Sarah Cooper, 22 Apr. 1811

Thomas Oatridge & Ann Marment, 26 Apr. 1811

Isaac Lockier & Martha Chandler, 20 May 1811

Edward Ricketts & Elizabeth Herbert, 21 May 1811

Edward Gardner, w., p. Shoreditch, London, & Mary Pinock, lic., 9 June 1811

Amos Teakle & Mary Hobbs, 16 June 1811

Samuel Tainton & Mary Smith, of Minchinhampton, 23 July 1811

William Gazzard, p. Minchinhampton, & Elizabeth Howel, 1 Aug. 1811

Robert Bowyer & Mary Burford, 5 Aug. 1811

Joseph Brown & Elizabeth Shipton, lic., 8 Aug. 1811

William Davis & Mary Davis, 11 Sept. 1811

Thomas Newman, p. Newington Bagpath, & Britannia Kendal Symonds, lic., 23 Sept. 1811

William Axon & Lindoniah Adams, 29 Oct. 1811

John Painter, p. Hawkesbury, & Sarah Reaves, 30 Oct. 1811

Joseph Newth & Sarah Hanks, 5 Dec. 1811

William Teakle & Mary Bishop, p. Tetbury, 25 Dec. 1811

George Ratcliffe, p. Woodchester, & Mary Beale, lic., 23 Jan. 1812

Thomas Harvey & Ellinor Tranter, 30 Mar. 1812

Samuel Pegler & Mary Clissold, 23 Apr. 1812

William Turton, p. St. Mary’s, Nottingham, & Elizabeth Rickards, 1 May 1812

John Witts, p. Oldbury, & Sarah Davis, lic., 7 May 1812

Daniel Fry & Ann Drew, 14 June 1812

George Hallin, p. Rodborough, & Mary Newth, 15 June 1812

John Coopper [sic] & Hannah Nichols, 6 July 1812

William Crew & Ruth Hillier, 7 July 1812

Thomas Nickols & Rachel Kemish, w., 17 July 1812

John Smith, p. Nympsfield, & Ann Clayfield, 24 Aug. 1812

Jabez Wood & Ann Harrison, 31 Aug. 1812

Anthony Amyatt Triscott & Elizabeth Harvey, lic., 6 Oct. 1812

John Wigmore, p. Avening, & Mary Tanner, lic., 25 Oct. 1812

William Herbert & Susannah Gazzard, 25 Dec. 1812

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1906.

Directories

Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Horsley is a parish and village, 5 miles south from Stroud railway station, 5 north-west from Tetbury, 23 north from Bath, and 101 from London, in Longtree hundred, Stroud union and county court district, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Stonehouse, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the Stroud road to Dursley and Wotton-under-Edge. The church of St. Martin is in the Perpendicular style, and has nave, chancel, transept, font, and tower with clock and 5 bells. The earliest date of register is 1585.

The living is a vicarage, worth £187 yearly, with residence and 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the bishop of the diocese; the Rev. Vaughan Fox, of Balliol college, Oxford, is the incumbent. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship here. There is a National school, with an endowment of £50 per annum; also an Infant school. The population in 1861 was 2,558; the acreage is 4,082. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is oolite. Townsend Stephens, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Colonel Kingscote, C.B., M.P., and E. Wilbraham, Esq., are chief landowners. There are charities of £100 yearly value.

Chavenage is 3 miles from Horsley; it is a chapelry, annual value £30, in the gift of the lord of the manor, and held by the Rev. Vaughan Fox. The old manor house at Chavenage is a venerable mansion, with chapel attached, erected in the reign of Queen Elizabeth by Richard Stephens, Esq.

Barton End, Nupp End, and Tickmore End, are hamlets in this parish.

Parish Clerk, Daniel Baglen.

Bathurst Miss, Barton end

Coles Edward, esq. Nupp end

Drouth Capt. W. Court house

Ford Samuel, esq. Nupp end cottage

Fox Rev. Vaughan [vicar]

Smith Mrs. Rockness hill

Wood Mrs. Barton end

COMMMERCIAL.

Axen William, shopkeeper

Bird Thomas, tailor

Bishop Samuel, farmer, Upper Lutherege

Clayfield George, shoemaker

Clinch Alexndr., carpenter, Tickmore end

Ford Henry , farmer, Nupp end

Fowler John, farmer, Cranmore

Gillman John, shoemaker

Harvey Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer, Tick more end

Heaven Wm.farmer, Barton end

Hillier Wm. grocer & linendraper

Hopkins Robert, blacksmith

Howell William, haulier

Jenner Nathaniel, farmer, Lower Lutherege

Lord William, beer retailer & shop keeper, Nupp end

Marsh Charles, farmer

Palmer Thomas, cattle dealer

Peake George, beer retailer

Price Stephen, farmer, Chavenage

Reynolds Daniel, Boot

Robins Soloman, farmer

Sansom Thomas, shoemaker

Sawyer John, White Hart, Downend

Tanner Robert, farmer, Chavenage

Tuffley William, Slack Horse

Underwood Thomas & Nicholas, farmers & ironmongers

Webb Thomas, carpenter, Nupp end

Post Office. — William Hillier, receiver. Letters arrive through Stroud at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Nailsworth

Horsley Prison & Sessions House (for remand), Mr. R. Muggridge, governor

National School, Geo. Smith, master  Mrs.H. Smith, mistress

Infant School, Miss Elizabeth Gillman, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stroud
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Stroud
  • Hundred: Longtree
  • Province: Canterbury