Hillesley is a chapelry of Hawkesbury Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Kilcott.
Alternative names: Hildesley, Hillsley
Parish registers begin: 1851
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Parishes adjacent to Hillesley
- Wotton under Edge
- Didmarton with Oldbury on the Hill
- Boxwell with Leighterton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HILLESLEY, HILLSLEY, or HILDESLEY, a tything and a chapelry in Hawkesbury parish, Gloucester. The tything lies under the Cotswolds, 2¾ miles S by E of Wotton-under-Edge, and 3½ ENE of Wickwar r. station. Real property, £2,355. Pop., 451. Houses, 121. The chapelry includes also the hamlet of Kilcott; and was constituted in 1852. Post town, Wotton-under-Edge. Pop., 574. Houses, 146. The property is subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £71. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church was rebuilt in 1851; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and bell turret. The previous church was an ancient chapel, with a chantry; and many interesting remains of it were discovered at the founding of the present edifice.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Hildesley, a tything in Hawkesbury parish, county of Gloucester; 3 miles east-north-east of Wickwar. Pop., in 1811, 424; in 1831, 630. Houses 125. Other returns with the parish.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Killcot, in Newent parish. P. 296
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
- Hundred: Grumbald's Ash
- Province: Canterbury