Henbury

Henbury Church

Henbury Gloucestershire Family History

Henbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: the tythings of Charlton, Compton, King’s Weston, Lawrence-Weston, and Stowick; the chapelries of Aust, Redwick, and Northwick; and the township of Henbury.

Parish church: Henbury, St Mary; Northwick, St Thomas.

Parish registers begin: Henbury, 1582; Aust, 1538; Redwick and Northwick, 1667

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.

Parishes adjacent to Henbury

  • Westbury-on-Trym
  • Filton
  • Kingsdown St Matthew
  • Elberton
  • Almondsbury
  • Compton Greenfield
  • Shirehampton
  • Olveston

Historical Descriptions

Henbury

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Henbury, a parish in Henbury hund., union of Clifton, county of Gloucester; 4 miles north- north-west of Bristol. It comprises the tythings of Charlton, Compton, King’s-Weston, Lawrence-Weston, and Stowick; the chapelries of Aust, Redwick, and Northwick; and the township of Henbury. Living, a discharged vicarage with the curacies of Aust and Northwick, formerly in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Bristol, now in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, rated at £30; gross income £700. Tithes commuted in 1839; aggregate amount £838; rent charge £50 vicarial, and £641 4s. impropriated. Patrons, in 1835, Lord Middleton and others. Here are 12 daily schools, one of which is endowed. Other charities, in 1827, £374 4s. 5d per annum; of which £191 19s. were applied to parochial purposes. Poor rates, in 1838, £1,154 15s. Blaise castle, in this parish, built by Thomas Parr, Esq., is situated on a conical hill, anciently the site of a Roman fortification. The views obtained from this elevation are exceedingly varied and beautiful. A great number of Roman coins and other antiquities have been found here. Acres 10,660. Houses 386. A. P. £13,504. Pop., in 1801, 1,544; in 1831, 2.351. Acres of the township 1,490. Houses 64. Pop., in 1801, 437; in 1831, 390.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Charlton

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Charlton, 2 m. N.E. Henbury. P. 329

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

LEWIS TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ENGLAND 1845

Charlton, a tything, in the parish, and Upper division of the hundred, of Henbury, union of Clifton, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 5½ miles (N.) from Bristol; containing 319 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Compton

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Compton, in Henbury parish. P. 44

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Compton, a tything in the parish of Henbury, county of Gloucester; 6 miles north-north-west of Bristol. Acres 1,610. Houses 26. Pop., in 1801, 151; in 1831, 1592). Other returns with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Kings Weston

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Kings-Weston, 5 m. N.W. Bristol. P. 269

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Lawrence Weston

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Lawrence-Weston, included in Henbury

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Northwick

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Northwick, 4 miles Bristol. P. 256

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Stowick

THE PARLIAMENTARY GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1851

Stowick, a tything in the parish of Henbury, union of Clifton, county of Gloucester; 5 miles north- north-west of Bristol. Acres 1,210. Houses 87. Pop., in 1801, 323; in 1831, 568. Other returns with the parish.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Stowick, near Henbury. P. 552

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

A TOPOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND 1833

Stowick, co. Gloucester.

P.T. Bristol (114) 5 m. NNW. Pop. 407.

A tithing in the parish and lower division of the hundred of Henbury

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Redwick

Tower of the former St Thomas's parish church, Northwick, Gloucestershire, seen from the northwest. The copyright on this image is owned by Sharon Loxton and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Redwick, 9 miles N. N. E. Bristol. P. 256

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Northwick

LEONARD’S GAZETTEER OF ENGLAND AND WALES 1850

Northwick, 4 miles Bristol. P. 256

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Henbury Marriages

Marriages at Henbury 1544 to 1812

Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol XVI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900. Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews

Marriages at Henbury 1544 to 1812 - Archive.org

Marriages at Henbury 1544-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Marriages at Henbury (Bishop’s Transcripts) 1669 to 1794

Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol XVI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews

Marriages at Henbury (Bishop’s Transcripts) 1669 to 1794 - Archive.org

Henbury Transcripts 1669-1794 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Henbury Marriages 1805 to 1812
Henbury Marriages 1800 to 1804
Henbury Marriages Volume IX
Henbury Marriages Northwick Chapel 1702 to 1735

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Clifton
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Bristol
  • Poor Law Union: Clifton, Thornbury
  • Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire); Henbury
  • Province: Canterbury