Hatherop is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Netherton.
Parish registers begin: 1670
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Hatherop
- Coln St Aldwyn
- Eastleach Turville
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HATHEROP, a village and a parish in Cireucester district, Gloucester. The village stands 3 miles N of Fairford, and 9 ENE of Cirencester r. station; and has a post office pillar box under Fairford. The parish includes also the hamlet of Netherton. Acres, 2,160. Real property, £2,907. Pop., 323. Houses, 70. The property, with Hatherop-Castle, belongs to the Maharajah Duleep Singh. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £302. Patron, the Maharajah Duleep Singh. The church is later English.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Hatherop, a parish in the hund. of Brightwell's-Barrow, union of Cirencester, county of Gloucester; 3 miles north-north by east of Fairford. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; returned at £10; gross income £300. Patron, in 1835, the Hon. W. Ponsonby. There are here a Roman Catholic chapel, and a daily school. “William Longespe, earl of Salisbury, gave this manor, A. D. 1222, to certain monks and brethren of the Carthusian order, assigned part of his revenues toward the building of a monastery for them here, and by his will, made A. D. 1225, he bequeathed to them church plate, vestments, reliques, and a stock of cattle. But these religious, after some few years stay, not liking their habitation, prevailed with the countess Ely, relict of their founder, to remove them to Henton in Somersetshire.” — Tanner's Not. Mon. Acres 2,160. Houses 72. A. P. 2,850. Pop., in 1801, 247; in 1831, 326. Poor rates, in 1838, £88 4s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851
Marriages at Hatherop, 1578 to 1837
Note. – A bundle of Register Transcripts is preserved at the Bishop’s Registry, Gloucester. The Transcripts begin in 1578, but the following years are missing:- 1579 to 1612 (inclusive); 1614 and 1615; 1619; 1622; 1624 to 1628 (inclusive); 1630; 1632 to 1636 (inclusive); 1641 to 1660 (inclusive); 1662 to 1664 (inclusive); 1666 to 1671 (inclusive). Ten entries from the Transcripts, 1578 to 1640, are given in page 40.
Volume I is a small book of parchment leaves measuring 7 ½ ins. by 6 ins., and bound in vellum, and contains 60 pages. On the first page it is stated that the former Register Book was lost about the year of our Lord 1649, and that this volume was bought in November 1670. The marriages are interspersed amongst the Christenings and Burials till the year 1677. Christenings alone begin on page 8 with the year 1679; Marriages alone on page 33 with the year 1680; and Burials alone on page 41 with the year 1679. The first entry, a Baptism, is dated 24 February 1670, and the last entry, also a Baptism, is dated 1 April 1729. The writing throughout is very distinct, and the manuscript is in good condition. Several pages have been torn out, but as far as I am able to judge they were blank.
Volume II is a large leather-bound book of parchment leaves in good preservation, measuring 14 ½ ins. by 9 ½ ins., containing Baptisms from 1729 to 1812; Marriages from 1729 to 1754; and Burials from 1729 to 1812.
Volume III is a large leather-bound volume of printed forms, printed “according to Act of Parliament for Thomas Lowndes, bookseller, near Exeter Exchange, MDCCLIV”. Banns are written on two lines above each entry. Only one-third of the volume has been used. The first entry is dated 13 Oct. 1754, and the last 24 Dec. 1812. The writing is distinct, and the volume is in good state of preservation.
Volume IV is a large book of printed forms of Marriages, bound in vellum, containing a hundred pages of which only fifteen are filled. It commences in 1813, and the last entry is dated 16 Oct. 1836. The writing is clear and the volume is in good condition.
These head notes have been written by, and these extracts have been made and are now printed under the supervision of, the Rev. A. W. Douglas, Rector of Hatherop.
Hatherop Marriages 1775 to 1812
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Fairford
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Brightwells Barrow
- Province: Canterbury