Hampnett with Stowell is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1660 from Hampnett Ancient Parish and Stowell Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish include: Stowell.
Parish registers begin: 1591
Hampnett is a township, parish and small village, 1 mile west-north-west from Northleach, 11 east from Cheltenham and north from Cirencester, and 85 from London, in Bradley Hundred, Northleach Union and electoral division of the county, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. It is situated near the old Roman Fossway. The church of St. Andrew is an old stone building, in the Norman and perpendicular styles, in good repair; has tower, nave and chancel, containing a beautiful Norman arch in good preservation; it has 3 bells and an organ. The living is a rectory united with that of Stowell, worth £500 yearly, with residence and 51 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the representation of Lord Eldon. The Rev. E. A. Daubeny, M.A., is the incumbent, and the Rev. Richard Rice, M.A., is the curate. There is an ancient barrow in this parish, near the old Roman Fossway, from which several coins have been taken. The population, in 1851, was 211; and the acreage is 1,406; rateable value, £1,416. The soil is stone brash. Henry Thomas Hope, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Here is the Northleach House of Correction.
Rice Rev. Richard, M.A. (curate), Rectory
Wells John, farmer
Wells Thomas, farmer
Letters through Andoversford. The nearest money order offices are at Northleach & Cheltenham.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.