Hailes is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1837 from a chapelry in Didbrook Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1814
Parishes adjacent to Hailes
- Guiting Power
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HAILES, or HAYLES, a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 2 miles NE of Winchcomb, and 6 SE of Beckford r. station. Post-town, Winchcomb under Cheltenham. Acres, 1,520. Real property, £2,705. Pop., 102. Houses, 17. The manor belonged anciently to Osgot, the Saxon; and belongs now to Lord Sudeley. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1246, by Richard, Earl of Cornwall; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Thomas Seymour: and passed to the Marquis of Northampton and the Tracies. Some interesting remains of the abbey are still standing. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Didbrook, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Hailes, a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Winchcomb; containing 120 inhabitants. Richard, Earl of Cornwall, afterwards King of the Romans and Emperor of Germany, established a Cistercian abbey in the year 1246, the greater part of which was destroyed by fire in 1271, but was restored by the founder at an expense of 8000 marks; it continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenues we're returned at £357. 7. 8.; there are still some remains. The parish comprises 1500 computed acres, of which about 250 are wood, and the remainder chiefly pasture, with a due portion of arable land. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Didbrook.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Hailes Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863
The following newspapers cover the area.
Cheltenham Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Examiner (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Looker-On (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Mercury (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cirencester Times and Cotswold Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucester Citizen (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucestershire Echo (The British Newspaper Archive)
Tewkesbury Register, and Agricultural Gazette., The (The British Newspaper Archive)
Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard (The British Newspaper Archive)
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury