Guiting Power is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Guyting Power, Lower Guyting, Lower Guiting.
Other places in the parish include: Farmcot, Guyting Grange, and Cartlet or Castlett are hamlets of this parish. There is a chapel of ease at Farmcot.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1560
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic, Baptist.
GUYTING POWER, or LOWER GUYTING, a village and a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 5½ miles ESE of Winchcomb, and 6 NW of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Lower Guyting, under Cheltenham. The parish includes also the hamlets of Guyting Grange and Cartlet. Acres, 3, 380. Real property, £3, 640. Pop., 647. Houses, 161. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to J. Walker, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £124. Patron, J. Walker, Esq. The church is Norman, in good condition; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There is a chapelry, with chapel of ease, at Farmcote. There are also a Baptist chapel, and charities £15.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Guyting Power, or Lower Guyting, a parish in the lower division of the hund. of Kiitsgate, union of Winchcombe, county of Gloucester; 5¼ miles south-east by east of Winchcombe. It includes the chapelry of Farmcote or Framcote. Living, a discharged vicarage with the curacy of Farmcote, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £14 19s. 5d.; gross income £129. Patron, in 1835, J. Walker, Esq. Here are 4 daily schools. Charities, in 1821, upwards of £12 per annum. Poor rates, in 1838, £382. Acres 3,380. Houses 155. A. P. £2,208. Pop., in 1801, 430; in 1831, 792.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Guyting, Lower, or Guyting-Power (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (S. E. by E.) from Winchcomb; containing, with the chapelry of Farmcote, 672 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King’s books at £14. 19. 5.; net income, £124; patron and impropriator, J. Walker, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1798. The church is in the Norman style. There is a chapel of ease at Farmcote.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Farmcote, a chapelry, in the parish of Guyting-Power, union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2¼ miles (E.) from Winchcomb; containing 32 inhabitants. It is said to have been formerly a distinct parish. The chapel is a very ancient structure. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol IV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900. Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews
Note. – The earliest register of Guiting is a parchment book of 69 leaves bound in a flexible binding, but many of the binding stitches have given and most of the pages are loose, otherwise it is in very fair condition. It is a narrow book about 12 by 6 inches. It will be noticed that there are several gaps. The 2nd Volume is an ordinary official book of paper. The Marriages have been extracted by permission of the Rev. Dr. Green, Vicar, and the Churchwardens, by the Rev. J. H. Bloom, and are printed under his supervision.Marriages at Guiting Power 1560 to 1812 - Archive.org