Great Witcombe is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Great Witcomb, Witcombe, Whitcombe, Witcombe Magna
Parish registers begin: 1749
Parishes adjacent to Great Witcombe
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
WHITCOMBE (Great), a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; 5½ miles SSW of Cheltenham r. station. It has a post-office under Gloucester. Acres, 918. Real property, £1,629. Pop., 165. Houses, 37. The manor, with W. House, belongs to Lady Cromie. Roman pavements, baths, coins, and indications of a villa, were found in 1819. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100. Patron, Lady Cromwell. The church is old.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Witcombe or Whitcombe or Witcombe Magna Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Witcombe, or Whitcombe, or Witcombe Magna, is a township, parish and village, 5 miles south-east from Gloucester railway station, 6 south from Cheltenham, and 5 north from Painswick, in Dudstone and King’s Barton Hundred, Cheltenham Union, Gloucester Archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is seated on the road from Gloucester to Cirencester. The church is an old building; has tower, aisle, porch, chancel, 2 bells and font. The living is a rectory, worth £100 yearly, with residence, in the gift of Lady Cromie; Rev. John Rawlin Trye is the incumbent. There is a mixed school. There are the remains of a Roman villa in this parish. Witcombe Park, the seat of Lady Cromie, is a fine old mansion; the park contains about 100 acres. The soil is loamy; the subsoil clayey. Lady Cromie is lady of the manor, and chief landowner. The population is 167, and the number of acres, 918.Woodlands, Nash’s, Birdlip, Capel’s, and Upper Farm, are places here.
Cromie Lady, Witcomb park
Trye Rev. John Rawlin, Rectory
Bubb William, farmer, Witcomb farm
Cook Henry, tailor
Gale John, farmer, Woodlands
Greenland George, shopkeeper
Haiden Giles, parish clerk
Hannis Ann (Mrs.), schoolmistress
Holbert John, builder
Holbert Joseph, farmer, Nash’s farm
Pinching Wm., ‘Black Horse’, Birdlip
Smith Edwin, blacksmith
Tombs Isaac, farmer, Capel’s farm
Tombs Job, farmer, Upper farm
Weager Joseph, ‘White Horse’
Letters through Gloucester, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Dudstone and King's Barton
- Province: Canterbury