Frocester is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1559
Parishes adjacent to Frocester
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FROCESTER, a village and a parish in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester. The village stands under Camley Pike, adjacent to the Bristol and Gloucester railway, 5 miles W by S of Stroud; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Stonehouse. The parish comprises 1,833 acres. Real property, £5,938; of which £1,386 are in railways. Pop., 262. Houses, 59. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Huntleys; and belongs now to the Earl of Ducie. The manor-house, Frocester Court, is of the time of Elizabeth; and it gave that sovereign a night’s lodging in 1574. A grand residence of the abbots of Gloucester was in the parish; and an ancient conventual barn, 210 feet, is still standing. Camley Pike, in the vicinity of the village, is a conical hill, commanding an extensive and very fine view. The living is a vicarage, with Chapel, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Valne, £229. Patron, the Rev. H. W. Bloxsome. The church is modern, and has a neat tower. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Frocester 1559-1837
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
- Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury