Frenchay is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1836 from Winterbourne Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: St. John Baptist, Frenchay
Other places in the parish include: Hambrook and Frenchay.
Parish registers begin: 1834
Nonconformists include: Presbyterian, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Unitarian.
Parishes adjacent to Frenchay
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
FRENCHAY, a tything and a chapelry in Winterbourne parish, Gloucester. The tything lies on an affluent of the river Avon, 2 miles NNW of Mangotsfield r. station, and 4 NE of Bristol; is a conjoint tything with Hambrook; and has a post office under Bristol. Pop., 1,621. Houses, 358. The chapelry was constituted in 1836; and is less extensive than the tything. Pop., 1,531. Houses, 337. The property is divided among a few. Frenchay House is a chief residence. A thin vein of coal occurs here in a solid rock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, £500. Patron, St. John’s College, Oxford. The church is good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
FRENCHAY, a tything, in the parish of Winterbourne, union of Clifton, Upper division of the hundred of Langley and Swinehead, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 594 inhabitants.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Frenchay Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Frenchay includes the village and tithing of Hambrok and part of Winterbourne Down, having a population of 1,446. It was separated for ecclesiastical purposes from the parish of Winterbourne, by Order in Council, on the 27th of May, 1836. The special act of Parliament is dated the 21st June, 1841. In this Act it is designated the parish of St. John Baptist, Frenchay. It is in Langley Hundred, Clifton Union. Here are many good residences.
Frenchay Lodge, Cliff Court, Newlands, Begbrook, and Cedar Hall, are places here.
Burgess Edward, esq. Frenchay lodge
Carter Rev. John, B.D. [rector]
Clarke Colonel, Newlands
Greenstreet Rev. Frdk. Wm. M.A., [curate]
Harford Charles Gray, esq
Harwood Rev. Daniel [Unitarian]
Haywood John, esq
Howse Rev. Henry Edwd. [Unitarian]
Hunt Robert, esq. Cliff court
Johnson Robert, esq
Parsons D. esq. Begbrook
Phillips Miss Georgina
Robinson Lieut.-Col. William Henry
Surtees Rev. John, [canon of Bristol]
Taylor Miss, Cedar hall
Tuckett Francis, esq
Cates Thomas, grocer, shoemaker & beer retailer
Emett Walter, stonemason
Hobbs Thomas, iron agricultural implement & edge tool manufacturer
Hutton Charles, dairyman
Mauler George, coal carter
Norgrove Joseph, beer retailer
Pearce Henry, miller
Pinnell Thomas, shoemaker
Shipton Robert, butcher
Veale William, master of National schls
Vowles Hannah (Mrs.), grocer & postmistress
Post Office – Mrs. Hannah Vowles postmistress. Letters delivered at ½ past 8 a.m. & at 6 p.m.; dispatched 20 min. past 9 a.m. & 20 min. past 4 p.m.
St. John’s Church, Rev. John Carter, B.D. rector; Rev. Frederick William Greenstreet, M.A., curate.
Unitarian Chapel, Rev. Daniel Harwood, minister
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
Gloucestershire Archives & Family History Groups
Records for England
Births and Baptism Records
War and Conflict
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Clifton
- Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
- Province: Canterbury