English Bicknor is a village and parish, 6 miles from Mitcheldean road station on the South Wales line of railway, 5 from Coleford, 8 from Monmouth, and 9 from Ross, in the Hundred of St. Briavels, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Union of Monmouth.  The church is a stone building, having a tower, one aisle, chancel, nave, and 5 bells; the Rev. John Burdon is rector.  The acreage contained in the parish is 2,355 acres, and the rateable value £2,950.  The population, in 1851, was 434.
Gentry
Burdon Rev. John
Davis Miss, Bicknor court
Machen Edward, esq.

Traders
Badham John, tailor
Ball John, butcher, beer retailer & shopkeeper
Buston James, farmer
Copner William, miller, Joyford mill
Crook Harriet (Mrs.), farmer
Dutheridge Thomas, farmer
Ebborn Richard, farmer
Edwards William, farmer
Harris Edward, farmer
James John, blacksmith
James Richard, carpenter
Jones James, farmer
Jones John, shopkeeper & beer retailer
Knight Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Lane Walter, farmer
Morgan Thomas, farmer
Terrett William, shoemaker
White Eliza (Mrs.), farmer

Post Office. – Mrs. Esther Blanch, receiver.  Letters are delivered at ½ past 9 a.m. & are dispatched at 5 p.m.  The nearest money order office is at Coleford.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.