English Bicknor is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Mailscot and New Weir.
Parish registers begin: 1561
Parishes adjacent to English Bicknor
- Dean Forest Christ Church
- Welsh Bicknor
- Dixton Newton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BICKNOR (English), a parish in the district of Monmouth and county of Gloucester; on the verge of the county, at the river Wye, 3½ miles N of Coleford, and 6½ SW of Mitcheldean Road r. station. It includes two places, called Mailscot and New Weir, formerly extra-parochial; and its Post Town is Coleford. Acres, 2,377. Real property, £3,280. Pop., 592. Houses, 125. The property is divided among a few. Bicknor Court, the seat of Col. Woosnam, stands on a cliff overhanging the Wye, and commands a fine view. Much of the land is disposed in cyder-orchards and in meadows. Coal, ironstone, and limestone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300. Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church stands within the fossé of an ancient fortification; and is good. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bicknor (English), a parish in the hund. of St Briavells, union of Monmouth, county of Gloucester; 3 miles north of Colford, on the eastern bank of the Wye. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £13 6s. 8d.; gross income £300; in the patronage of the provost and fellows of Queen's college, Oxford. The church stands within tbe fosse of an ancient fortification, and beyond it is a jutting promontory round which the river winds romantically. There is a daily school here. Charities connected with the parish produce £10 17s. per annum. This vicinity is remarkable for fine orchards and meadow lands, and a considerable quantity of cider is made. Pop., in 1801, 464; in 1831, 598. Houses 117. Acres 2,440. A.P. £2,081. Poor rates, in 1837, £179.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bicknor-English, 5 miles S.W. Mitchel-Dean. P. 576
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
English Bicknor Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
English Bicknor is a village and parish, 6 miles from Mitcheldean road station on the South Wales line of railway, 5 from Coleford, 8 from Monmouth, and 9 from Ross, in the Hundred of St. Briavels, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, and Union of Monmouth. The church is a stone building, having a tower, one aisle, chancel, nave, and 5 bells; the Rev. John Burdon is rector. The acreage contained in the parish is 2,355 acres, and the rateable value £2,950. The population, in 1851, was 434.
Burdon Rev. John
Davis Miss, Bicknor court
Machen Edward, esq.
Badham John, tailor
Ball John, butcher, beer retailer & shopkeeper
Buston James, farmer
Copner William, miller, Joyford mill
Crook Harriet (Mrs.), farmer
Dutheridge Thomas, farmer
Ebborn Richard, farmer
Edwards William, farmer
Harris Edward, farmer
James John, blacksmith
James Richard, carpenter
Jones James, farmer
Jones John, shopkeeper & beer retailer
Knight Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer
Lane Walter, farmer
Morgan Thomas, farmer
Terrett William, shoemaker
White Eliza (Mrs.), farmer
Post Office. – Mrs. Esther Blanch, receiver. Letters are delivered at ½ past 9 a.m. & are dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Coleford.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Monmouth
- Probate Court: Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Monmouth
- Hundred: St Briavels
- Province: Canterbury