Elmore Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856


Elmore is a township, parish and village, 4 miles south-west from Gloucester station, in Dudstone and King’s Barton Hundred, Gloucester Union and archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric.  It is situated on the navigable river Severn.  The church is an old stone building, in the early English style, has tower, nave, south aisle, two cancels, 6 bells, some monuments and stone slabs within the altar-rails, belonging to the Guise family; the latter were originally covered with brass.  The living is a perpetual curacy, worth £73 yearly, with 40 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Guise family, of Elmore Court.  The Rev. J. Daniel is the incumbent; the Rev. R. W. Geldart is the curate.  There is a Free school for boys and girls of the parish, supported by Sir John Guise and W. V. Guise, Esq. Sir John Guise is lord of the manor and principal landowner.  The population is 393, and the number of acres 1,486.
The Back is the name given to a considerable part of the township.
Leightons and the Hollow are farms.

Guise William V. esq. Elmore court

Traders
Arnold Thomas, farmer, the Back
Astman William, farmer
Boughton David, farmer
Carter Jasper, master of Free school
Carter Louisa (Miss), mistress of Free school
Green John, beer retailer, the Back
Griffiths Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Guilding Edward, farmer, the Back
Guilding William, shopkeeper & baker, the Back
Guilding Joseph, farmer
Hargrave John, farmer & parish clerk, Leighton’s farm
Hill George, shopkeeper
Hill John, farmer, Hollow farm
James William, farmer, the Back
Lane Joseph, ‘Stone Bench House’
Meek Daniel, tailor
Merratt Joseph, blacksmith
Niblett Thomas, boot & shoe maker, the Back
Norris John, farmer
Prosser James, farmer
Phelps Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer, the Back
Symonds George, gamekeeper
Titus William, boot & shoe maker
Vick Daniel, farmer
Vick Elias, boot & shoe maker
Vick Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Wathen Deborah (Mrs.), farmer, the Back
Watts Geo. shopkeeper & beer retailer
Watts James, coal merchant

Letters through Gloucester, which is also the nearest money order office.

Free School, Jasper Carter, master; Miss Louisa Carter, mistress.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *