Eastleach Martin is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Burthorpe
Parish registers begin: 1538
Parishes adjacent to Eastleach Martin
- Broughton Poggs Oxfordshire
- Holwell Oxfordshire
- Eastleach Turville
- Langford Oxfordshire
- Westwell Oxfordshire
Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
East-Leach-Martin, or Burthorpe, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; on the river Leach, near Icknield-street, adjacent to the boundary with Oxford, 4 miles N by E of Lechlade, and 11 WSW of Witney r. station. Post-town, East-Leach-Turville, under Swindon. Acres, 1,960. Real property, £2,462. Pop., 216. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was reported in 1859 as not good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
Eastleach-Martin or Burthorpe Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Eastleach-Martin or Burthorpe, is a township, parish, and village, in Northleach Union, Hundred of Brightwells Barrow, 4 miles north-by-east from Lechlade. The living is a rectory, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, annual value, £150. The church consists of a chancel, nave, and 4 bells. The Rev. Hugh Pollard Willoughby, M.A., is the rector. Acreage, 1,938; population, 197.
Fyfield is a hamlet.
Clarke Mr. Thomas
Cooper Rev. Rowland H., M.A., (curate), Parsonage
Plunket Mrs. Ann
Barton – , farmer, Fyfield
Baxter John, farmer, Fyfield
Humphris John, miller & farmer
Pumfry Bartholomew, boot & shoe ma
Rickards Robert, farmer
Letters through Lechlade, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Fairford
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Brightwells Barrow
- Province: Canterbury