Dymock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: Leadington, Woodend, and Ryland.
Parish registers begin: 1538
Nonconformists include: Bible Christian Methodist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Roman Catholic.
Parishes adjacent to Dymock
- Redmarley D'Abitot
- Much Marcle
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
DYMOCK, a village and a parish in Newent district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Leadon, and on the Hereford and Gloucester canal, near the boundary with Hereford, 4 miles S of Ledbury r. station, and 4 NNW of Newent; was once a market-town; and has a post office under Gloucester. The parish is divided into Leadington, Ryland, and Woodend; and comprises 6,875 acres. Real property of D. Leadington, £3,265; of D. Ryland, £4,267; of D. Woodend, £4,201. Pop. of the whole, 1,870. Houses, 414. The property is much sub-divided. The manor belonged anciently to the Dymocks, champions of England. An old seat of the Wyntours here was garrisoned for Charles I. Apples and pears are grown in great quantity; and oaks and elms attain a great age. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Valne £104. Patron, Earl Beauchamp. The church was originally Norman; has been greatly modernized; possesses a low massive tower, with obtuse spire; and is in very good condition. A school has £91 from endowment; and other charities £54. John Kyrle, better known as "the Man of Ross," was a native.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dymock, a parish in the hund. of Botloe, union of Newent, county of Gloucester; 4 miles north-north-west of Newent, on the river Leadon, and intersected by the Hereford and Gloucester canal. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £9 13s. 9d., returned at £95; gross income £105. Patron, in 1835, A. Thomson, Esq. Here are 3 daily schools, one of which, with 50 males and 50 females, is endowed with funds producing £93 per annum: the master and mistress have each £20 a-year, with a house, garden, and coals. Charities, £34 per annum. Poor rates, in 1837, £612. From the rye lands in this parish, King Edward sent a breed of sheep to Spain, which now produces the finest wool. For this important present he is censured by Rapin in his history. A great quantity of cider and perry is made here, the vicinity abounding in orchards. Whitehouse, in this parish, was the birth-place of John Kyle, better known as the 'Man of Ross,' whose benevolence has been so pleasingly recorded by Pope. Formerly this place was of great extent and importance. In the parliamentary war it was garrisoned for the king. Acres 6,270. Houses 289. A.P. £8,292. Pop. in 1801, 1,223; in 1831, 1,656.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Banns of Marriage
Dymock Marriages 1772
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Newent
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford, Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Forest
- Poor Law Union: Newent
- Hundred: Botloe
- Province: Canterbury