Dumbleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1738
Dumbleton, a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; on the river Isburn, 4¼ miles N by W of Winchcomb, and 6 S by W of Evesham r. station. It has a post office under Evesham. Acres, 2, 100. Real property, £4, 216. Pop., 465. Houses, 93. Dumbleton House is the seat of E. Holland, Esq. The parish contains a mineral spring; and is a meet for the Berkeley-Hunt hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £354.* Patron, E. Holland, Esq. The church is ancient. There are a national school, and charities £50.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Dumbleton, 4 m. N. Winchcombe. P. 497
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Dumbleton (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Evesham; containing 497 inhabitants. The parish is situated about a mile and a half from the road between Cheltenham and Evesham, and comprises 2155a. 8p.: a rivulet called the Isborn runs through it. Stone of a very hard kind is quarried for repairing the roads and for lime: large quantities of fossil shells are found in the quarries. Many of the females are employed in making gloves for the Worcester houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £18. 16. 8.; net income, £354; patron, E. Holland, Esq. The glebe contains 72 acres, and a large glebehouse. The church is a very ancient edifice, with an embattled tower at the west end, and has several monuments to the family of Cocks, who for a long time held the estate. John Cocks, in 1728, gave an estate at Tainton, comprising upwards of 58 acres, and producing £70 per annum, part of which is applied in apprenticing a boy, £20 towards a school, and the rest to the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848