Photo of Dumbleton Hall was built mid 19th century using Cotswold stone, and became home to the Eyres family. by Saffron Blaze, some rights reserved.
Dumbleton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Peter
Parish registers begin: 1738
Parishes adjacent to Dumbleton
- Aston Somerville
- Ashton under Hill
Historical Descriptions of Dumbleton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Dumbleton, a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; on the river Isburn, 4¼ miles N by W of Winchcomb, and 6 S by W of Evesham r. station. It has a post office under Evesham. Acres, 2,100. Real property, £4,216. Pop., 465. Houses, 93. Dumbleton House is the seat of E. Holland, Esq. The parish contains a mineral spring; and is a meet for the Berkeley-Hunt hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £354. Patron, E. Holland, Esq. The church is ancient. There are a national school, and charities £50.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Dumbleton, a parish in the lower division of Kiftsgate hundred, union of Winchcombe, county of Gloucester; 4¼ miles north by west of Winchcombe; west of the river Isborne. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now it the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £18 16s. 8d.; gross income £374. Patron, in 1835, E. Holland; Esq. Here are two daily and Sunday schools, at which several poor children receive gratuitous instruction. Acres 2,100. Houses 78. A.P. £4,501. Pop., in 1801, 307; in 1831, 420. Poor rates, in 1837, £75.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Dumbleton, 4 m. N. Winchcombe. P. 497
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1848
Dumbleton (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Winchcomb, Lower division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Evesham; containing 497 inhabitants. The parish is situated about a mile and a half from the road between Cheltenham and Evesham, and comprises 2155a. 8p.: a rivulet called the Isborn runs through it. Stone of a very hard kind is quarried for repairing the roads and for lime: large quantities of fossil shells are found in the quarries. Many of the females are employed in making gloves for the Worcester houses. The living is a rectory, valued in the king’s books at £18. 16. 8.; net income, £354; patron, E. Holland, Esq. The glebe contains 72 acres, and a large glebehouse. The church is a very ancient edifice, with an embattled tower at the west end, and has several monuments to the family of Cocks, who for a long time held the estate. John Cocks, in 1728, gave an estate at Tainton, comprising upwards of 58 acres, and producing £70 per annum, part of which is applied in apprenticing a boy, £20 towards a school, and the rest to the poor.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1848
Family History Links
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
- Hundred: Kiftsgate
- Province: Canterbury