Down Ampney is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1603
Parishes adjacent to Down Ampney
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
AMPNEY-DOWN, or Down-Ampney, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on Ampney brook, the Thames and Severn canal, and Ermine-street, 3 miles NNE of Cricklade, and 6 ESE of Cirencester r. station It has a post office under Cricklade. Acres, 2,510. Real property, £3,713. Pop., 429. Houses, 82. The property is undivided. The manor belonged at Domesday to Ralph du Todini, and passed to the Duchy of Lancaster, to the Villierses, to Speaker Hungerford, to the Dunches, to Secretary Craggs, to the Eliots, and to the Bouveries. A mansion built on it, in the time of Henry VIII., by Sir Anthony Hungerford, still stands, but has been much altered by modern additions. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £116. Patron, Christ Church college, Oxford. The church is early English, built about the year 1260, by the Knights Templars; and was partly rebuilt about 1845, partly repaired in 1863.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Amphney-Down, 6 miles E. Cirencester. P. 425.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
AMPNEY-DOWN, a parish in the hund. of Crowthorne and Minety, union of Cirencester, Gloucestershire; 5 miles south-east from Cirencester; a little to the north of the Thames and Severn canal. Living, a discharged vicarage, formerly in the archd. of Gloucester, now in that of Bristol, and in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10 5s. 8d., in the parliamentary returns at £120; gross income £118. Patrons, in 1835, the dean and chapter of Christ-church, Oxford. The church is an ancient building. There is an infant school in this parish, also a small day school. An ancient mansion-house, built by Sir Anthony Hungerford, in the reign of Henry VIII., still exists, though much altered by modern additions Pop., in 1801, 279; in 1831, 463. Houses 79. Acres 2,470. A. P., including that of Ampney-Crucis, £3,610. Poor rates, in 1837, £187.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Ampney Down, co. Gloucester.
P T. Cirencester (89) 5 m. S. Pop. 365.
A parish in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety; living, a dis. vicarage in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; val. in K. B. 10l. 5s. 8d.; in P. R. 120l.; church ded. to All Saints; patron, Christ Church College, Oxford. An ancient mansion-house, built by the family of Hungerford, in the reign of Henry VIII., still exists, although much modernised in its exterior.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Fairford
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Crowthorne and Minety
- Province: Canterbury