Dowdeswell, Gloucestershire

Dowdeswell is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Andoversford.

Parish church: St. Michael

Parish registers begin: 1597

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Dowdeswell

  • Withington
  • Charlton Kings
  • Shipton Sollars
  • Coberley
  • Whittington

Historical Descriptions


The British Gazetteer 1852

Dowdeswell, Gloucester, a parish in the hund. of Bradley, union of Northleach; 124 miles from London (coach road 94), 5 from Cheltenham, 12 from Gloucester. Gt. West. Rail, through Stonehouse to Cheltenham, thence 5 miles: from Derby, through Birmingham to Cheltenham, &c, 92 miles. Money orders issued at Cheltenham: London letters dclivd 8½ a.m. : post closes 6 p.m. Several ancient remains have been discovered here: and near Andover’s Fort a battle took place between Charles I. and the parliamentary forces. The living (St. Michael), a rectory, formerly in the diocese of Gloucester, now in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, is valued at £13. 6s. 8d. : pres. net income, £402 : patron, Mrs. Hestor Rogers pres. incumbent, Charles Coxwell, 1826 : contains 3,250 acres: 40 houses: pop. in 1841, 249 : assd. propy. £2,798 : poor rates in 1837, £51. Salperton is the seat of John Browne, Esq., a magistrate and deputy-lieutenant for Gloucestershire, and a descendant of the ancient family which for a long time bore the Norman name of Le Brun. — At Dowdeswell is the seat of Hester Rogers, the niece of Edward Rogers, Esq. — to whose estates she succeeded, by will, in 1810 — and daughter of Richard Rogers, Esq. of Dowdeswell, the descendant of a branch of the ancient and knightly house of the same name, formerly of Bryanstone, Dorset, which settled at Dowdeswell, where it possessed large estates at the commencement of the fifteenth century. — Brockhampton Park is the seat of Fulmer Craven, Esq., the grandson of Charles Craven, Esq., youngest brother of William Lord Craven, and governor of South Carolina in the reign of Queen Anne.

Source: The British Gazetteer, Political, Commercial, Ecclesiastical, and Historical: Showing the Distances of Each Place from London and Derby–gentlemen’s Seats–populations … &c. Illustrated by a Full Set of County Maps, with All the Railways Accurately Laid Down. Benjamin Clarke 1852; Published (for the proprietors) by H. G. Collins.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Dowdeswell (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Northleach, hundred of Bradley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (S. E. by E.) from Cheltenham; containing 249 inhabitants. It comprises 2000 acres by computation, which are chiefly arable, with the exception of about 400 acres of woodland. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of Miss Rogers: the tithes have been commuted for £416. 4., and the glebe comprises 21 acres, to which there is a glebe-house. The church is a cruciform structure, built in 1577, with a tower and spire rising from the intersection. A school is supported by subscription. There are remains of several ancient fortifications, and some leaden coffins have been found. Near Andover’s Ford a battle was fought between Charles I. and the parliamentary forces.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.


The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Andoversford, a post-town in the parish of Dowdeswell, Gloucester; 97 miles from London. Pop. returned with the parish. The Cheltenham, Oxford, and London union railway here crosses the road from Cheltenham to Oxford, and the proposed Ireland and London junction railway passes 2 chains to the left. Petty-sessions are held here for the district of Andoversford.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.


  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Northleach
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Withington
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
  • Poor Law Union: Northleach
  • Hundred: Bradley
  • Province: Canterbury