Didmarton with Oldbury on the Hill, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Didmarton with Oldbury on the Hill is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created 1735 from Didmarton Ancient Parish and Oldbury on the Hill Ancient Parish.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin:

  • Didmarton: 1675
  • Oldbury on the Hill: 1567

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Didmarton with Oldbury on the Hill

Historical Descriptions

Didmarton

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DIDMARTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Tetbury district, Gloucester. The village stands on the verge of the county, under the Cotswolds, 5½ miles SW of Tetbury, and 8 E by S of Wickwar r. station; and has a post office under Chippenham. Its site is supposed to have been occupied by a Roman station; and has yielded a number of Roman coins. The parish comprises 719 acres. Real property, £1,194. Pop., 92. Houses, 16. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Oldbury-on-the-Hill, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English, and has a wooden steeple. Charities, £11. The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 9, 382. Pop., 1, 470. Houses, 313.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Didmarton, a parish in the upper division of Grumbald's-Ash hund., union of Tetbury, county of Gloucester; 5½ miles south-west of Tetbury, on the post-road from Bath to Farringdon, in Berkshire. Living, a discharged rectory, annexed with the patronage to that of Oldbury-on-the-Hill. There is a daily school here. Acres 170. Houses 21. A. P. £1,166. Pop., in 1801, 74; in 1831, 103. Poor rates, in 1837, £34.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Oldbury on the Hill

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

OLDBURY-ON-THE-HILL, a parish, with a village, in Tetbury district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, adjacent to Wilts, 5¾ miles S W of Tetbury, and 6¼ E of Wickwar r. station. Post-town, Chippenham. Acres, 1,342. Real property, £2,584. Pop. in 1851, 485; in 1861, 440. Houses, 105. The decrease of pop. was caused by the closing of a large boarding-school. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Didmarton, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Joint value, £387. Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is early English; and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower. There is a village school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Marriages

Didmarton Marriages General Information

Note. – The Registers of the parish consist of two volumes only, covering the period 1675 to 1754, after which date the weddings are recorded at Oldbury-on-the-Hill, printed in this volume.

Volume I is of parchment sheets sewn together, measuring 13 in. by 6 in., it is unbound, and is in bad condition; it includes Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.

Volume II is of parchment, bound in vellum, measuring 13 in. by 7 ½ in., and is in good condition; it also includes Baptisms, Marriages and Burials.

These Marriages have been extracted by the Rev. W. Symonds, M.A., and are now printed by leave of the Rev. R. F. Wilson, M.A., Rector of Didmarton.

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1905.

Oldbury-on-the-Hill Marriages General Information

Note. – The Registers for this parish prior to 1812 consist of three volumes.  Volume I is of parchment, bound in leather, consisting of 30 leaves, and measures 15 ¼ in. by 5 ¾ in.  It includes Baptisms, Weddings, and Burials from 1568 to 1746.  It is in fair condition, having, apparently, been rebound in 1693.

Volume II is of parchment, bound in vellum, consisting of 10 leaves, and measures 13 in. by 8 in.  It contains Baptisms and Burials from 1748 to 1782, and Marriages from 1748 to 1751.  It is in good condition.

Volume III is of the usual printed forms.  It extends from 1754 to 1812, and contains the Marriages of the two parishes of Oldbury and Didmarton.

These extracts have been made by the Rev. W. Symonds, late rector of Sherston.

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1905.

Marriages at Oldbury-on-the-Hill and Didmarton 1568 to 1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Marriages at Oldbury-on-the-Hill 1568-1750 - UK Genealogy Archives

Marriages at Didmarton 1675-1751 - UK Genealogy Archives

Marriages at Oldbury-on-the-Hill and Didmarton 1654-1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Oldbury on the Hill and Didmarton Marriages 1800 to 1812

William Gawler, p. Walcot, Bath, & Ann Chappel, p. D., lic., 9 Mar. 1800

Thomas Knight & Mary Boxwell, 13 Jan. 1801

George Osborn & Elizabeth Purnell, 22 Jan. 1801

Samuel Clark, p. O., & Anne Cook, p. D., 26 Oct. 1801

John Tilling, p. O., & Mary Penson, 17 May 1802

John Goodwin, p. Yate, & Mary Osborne, p. O., lic., 8 July 1802

William Wickham, surgeon, & Elizabeth Comley, both p. O., lic., 7 Aug. 1802

Robert May & Maria Heaven, both p. O., 14 Feb. 1803

Samuel Chappell & Frances Leg, both p. O., 19 Apr. 1803

William Watts & Hester Clark, both p. O., lic., 9 May 1803

William Greenaway & Margaret Oakford, 25 July 1803

William Cox, p. Tortworth, & Sarah Rosser, p. O., lic., 14 Feb. 1804

Isaac Skirton, p. O., & Hester Freeman, p. D., lic., 13 Oct. 1804

John Always, p. Horton, & Betty Iddolls, p. O., lic., 27 Dec. 1804

John Nichols & Catharine Penson, 4 Feb. 1805

William Tanner, gent., p. Letterton, & Mary Chappell, p. D., lic., 12 Aug. 1805

William Walker & Sarah Ludlow, both p. O., 7 Oct. 1805

William Bigs, p. D., & Elizabeth Stratton, p. O., 7 Apr. 1806

Samuel Harris, p. D., & Anne Griffin, p. O., 10 Apr. 1806

John Turner, p. Leighterton, & Virgin Clark, p. O., 1 Dec. 1806

John Brown, p. D., & Sarah Mead, p. O., 7 July 1807

George Robbins, gent., p. Fairford, & Sarah Cullimore, p. O., lic., 20 Dec. 1808

Isaac Milsom, p. Sopworth, Wilts, & Patience Clarke, p. O., 19 Apr. 1810

William Butler, p. Sherston Magna, Wilts., & Sarah Worger, p. D., 3 June 1811

William Perks, p. Badminton, & Elizabeth Walker, p. D., 10 June 1811

John Clarke & Mary Harding, both p. O., 21 Oct. 1811

Joseph Woodman, p. Hawkesbury, & Martha Chappell, p. O., 21 Oct. 1811

William Cowley, gent., p. Slimbridge, & Elizabeth Rich, lic., 9 Nov. 1812

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1905

Directories

Oldbury-on-the-Hill Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Oldbury-on-the-Hill is a township, parish and village, in the upper division of Grumbalds Ash Hundred, Tetbury Union, in the neighbourhood of Tetbury. Here is a church. The population, in 1851, was 485, with 1,342 acres.

Kingston Miss Ann

Washbourne Richard, esq.

White George, esq.

Wickham William, esq.

TRADERS

Baylis Wm. carpenter & wheelwright

Bond Job, carrier

Broom William, boot & shoe maker

Chappell Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Chappell Samuel, coal haulier

Chappell William, tailor

Chidell George, boarding school

Hatherell Abraham, draper & grocer

Hatherell James, farmer

Haynes John, smith & farrier

Holborow John, wine & spirit merchant

Huff Zaccheus, boot & shoe maker

Jenkins James, coal haulier

King Stephen, ‘King’s Arms’

Long William, farmer

Mills Jane (Mrs.), draper & grocer

Sessions James, butcher

Summers Samuel, baker

Thompson James, ‘Three Compasses’

Watts Edward, saddler

Watts William, tailor

Weaver Thos. carpenter & cabinet mkr

Wickham & White, surgeons

Woolnough George, steam threshing & drilling machine proprietor

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tetbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Tetbury
  • Hundred: Grumbald's Ash
  • Province: Canterbury