Didbrook, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Didbrook is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Wormington Grange, Pinnock and Hyde, Coscomb, Hyde, and Pinnock.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1558

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Didbrook

Historical Descriptions

Didbrook

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

DIDBROOK, a village, a township, and a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester. The village lies under the Cotswolds, near the river Isborne, 3 miles NE of Winchcomb, and 8 ENE of Cleeve r. station. The township includes also the hamlets of Coscomb and Wormington-Grange. Acres, 1,528. Real property, £2,125. Pop., 182. Houses, 37. The parish contains also the township of Pinnock and Hyde. Post town, Winchcomb, under Cheltenham. Acres, 2,578. Real property, £3,924. Pop., 221. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Pinnock and the p. curacy of Hailes, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £257. Patron,H. Tracy, Esq. The church was built in 1470; has a pinnacled square tower; and is in good condition.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Didbrooke, a parish in Kiftsgate hund., county of Gloucester; 3 miles north-east of Winchcombe, east of the river Isborne. It includes the township of Pinnock and Hyde. Living, a discharged vicarage, with the rectory of Pinnock, and the curacy of Hayles, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £7 9s. 10d.; gross income £259. Patron, in 1835, C. H. Tracey, Esq. Acres 2,330. Houses 43. A.P. £1,915. Pop., in 1801, 254; in 1831, 240. Poor rates, in 1837, £117

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Pinnock and Hyde

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Pinnock and Hyde, a township in the parish of Didbrook, county of Gloucester; 4½ miles east by south of Winchcombe. Living, a discharged rectory annexed to the vicarage of Didbrook. The church is in ruins. Acres 1,800. Houses 10. A.P. £1,378. Pop., in 1801, 125; in 1831, 47

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Pinnock and Hyde, 3 m. E. Winchcombe. P. 52

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Historical Newspapers

The following newspapers cover the area.

Gloucestershire Newspapers

Cheltenham Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Examiner (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Looker-On (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Mercury (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cirencester Times and Cotswold Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Citizen (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Echo (The British Newspaper Archive)

Tewkesbury Register, and Agricultural Gazette., The (The British Newspaper Archive)

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard (The British Newspaper Archive)

 

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Winchcomb
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Winchcombe
  • Hundred: Kiftsgate
  • Province: Canterbury