Dean Forest

Dean Forest St Paul, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Dean Forest St Paul is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1822 from part of Forest of Dean extra-parochial.

Other places in the parish include: Clearwell, Denbigh Walk, Denby Walk, York Walk, Parkend Walk, West Dean, and Park End Walk.

Parish church: St. Paul

Parish registers begin: 1822; Separate registers exist for Clearwell which begin: 1830

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Dean Forest St Paul

Historical Descriptions

Denby Walk

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Denby-Walk, a tract in East Dean and West Dean township, Gloucester; in Dean forest, 4 miles W of Newnham. Pop., 1,307.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Directories

Park End Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Park End is a hamlet in the district of St. Paul and township of West Dean, 7 miles from Lydney station on the South Wales line of railway, 4 from Coleford, 14 from Ross, and 16 from Chepstow, in the Hundred of St. Briavells, and diocese of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, and archdeaconry of Gloucester.  The district church, dedicated to St. Paul, is a handsome octagonal building of stone, having a tower, organ, gallery, and 1 bell.  The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol, of the value of £150 per year; the Rev. Henry Poole is the present incumbent.  Here are extensive iron, tin, and coal works.  The population is about 200.

Campbell Sir James, bart., Whitemead park (deputy surveyor of Dean forest)
Poole Rev. Henry, B.A. (incumbent of St. Paul’s)

Traders.

Courteen Henry, ‘British Queen’
Forest of Dean Iron Co. James & Greenham
Forest Tin Plate Co. Messrs. Allaways
Harper & Moore, brickmakers & coal masters, Whitecroft
Inman James, ‘Fountain’
Jones Philip, shopkeeper
Morgan & Morse, coal masters, Moseley green
Morse George Morris, coal master, Moseley green
Park End Coal Co. Nicholson, Trotter & Co.
Phipps & Child, coal master, Moseley green
Protheroe & Phillips, coal masters, Great Western colliery

Letters are received through Lydney & Coleford.  The nearest money order office is at Coleford.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Monmouth
  • Probate Court: Post-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory), Pre-1541 - Court of the Bishop of Hereford
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Forest
  • Poor Law Union: Monmouth
  • Hundred: St Briavels
  • Province: Canterbury