Condicote Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Condicote is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish: Hinchwick

Parish church: St. Nicholas

Parish registers begin: 1688

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Condicote

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CONDICOTE, a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 3 miles NW of Stow-on-the-Wold, and 4¾ SW of Moreton r. station. Post town, Stow-on-the-Wold, under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 890. Real property, £1,625. Pop., 182. Houses, 39. The property is divided among a few. Slight traces exist of a Roman camp. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol-Value, £158. Patrons, the Rev. W. Bishop and others. The church is ancient, and has a Norman doorway.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Condicote, 3 m. N.W. Stow. P. 165.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Condicote (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Stow-on-the-Wold, partly in the Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, and partly in the Upper division of the hundred of Slaughter, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 1/2 miles (N. W. by W.) from Stow; containing 165 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1237 acres: there are quarries of flag-stone of good quality. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's books at £7. 1. 0 1/2.; net income, £158; patrons, Representatives of the late S. W. Bishop, Esq. : the tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1777. The church is a very ancient structure.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Palfrey William, Hinchwick, Gloucestershire, farmer, Oct. 5, 1822.

Parish Records

FamilySearch - Birth Marriage & Death Census Migration & Naturalization Military Probate & Court

Maps

Vision of Britain historical maps

Historical Newspapers

The following newspapers cover the area.

Gloucestershire Newspapers

Cheltenham Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Examiner (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Looker-On (The British Newspaper Archive)

Cheltenham Mercury (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Citizen (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Gloucestershire Echo (The British Newspaper Archive)

Tewkesbury Register, and Agricultural Gazette., The (The British Newspaper Archive)

Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard (The British Newspaper Archive)

Worcestershire Newspapers

County Express – Worcestershire (Findmypast)

County Express Worcestershire (The British Newspaper Archive)

Evesham Journal (Findmypast)

Evesham Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Evesham Standard & West Midland Observer (Findmypast)

Evesham Standard & West Midland Observer (The British Newspaper Archive)

Worcester Herald (Findmypast)

Worcester Herald (The British Newspaper Archive)

Worcester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)

Worcestershire Chronicle (Findmypast)

Worcestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Stow
  • Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
  • Hundred: Kiftsgate; Slaughter
  • Province: Canterbury