Compton Greenfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1583
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Parishes adjacent to Compton Greenfield
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMPTON-GREENFIELD, a parish in Clifton district, Gloucester; on the Bristol and South Wales Union railway, near the estuary of the Severn, 6 miles NNW of Bristol. Post town, Almondsbury, under Bristol. Acres, 650. Real property, £3,720. Pop., 52. Houses, 8. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £144. Patron, R. Lippincott, Esq. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1852; and is in the early English style; but has a fine Norman doorway, and an ancient, embattled, ivy-clad tower.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Compton-Greenfield, 5 miles N. Bristol. P. 65
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Compton-Greenfield, a parish, in the union of Clifton, Upper division of the hundred of Henbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 6 1/4 miles (N. by W.) from Bristol; containing 65 inhabitants. It comprises 650a. 2r. 37p., of which 39 1/2 acres are arable, and 610 pasture : the navigable river Severn flows on the western side. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King’s books at £7, and in the gift of Caius Lippencot, Esq. : the tithes have been commuted for £140, and the glebe contains 50 acres, to which there is a glebe-house.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Morgan William, Compton, Greenfield, Gloucestershire, butcher, Feb. 13. 1821.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Compton Greenfield Gloucestershire 1876
Compton Greenfield is a parish in Clifton union, containing, by the census of 1861, 52, and in 1871, 60 inhabitants, and 616 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; 8 miles north-west from Bristol, on the road to Milford and Swansea, and 30 south-west from Gloucester. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. G. Hope Dixon, M.A., is valued at £200 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of Robert Cann Lippincott, Esq., who is also lord of the manor and principal owner. The church, which was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1852, is in the Early English style, and consists of nave, chancel, and porch. The tower is covered with ivy. The rateable value of this parish is £1504.
Davis Sir John F., Bart., K.C.B.
Trades and Professions.
Edwards Thomas, farmer
Fisher Abel, farmer, Sea Wall farm
Keen Samuel, farmer, Church farm
Pearce Mrs. Mary, farmer
Prosser Mrs. Charlotte, farmer
Letters through Bristol. Westbury is the nearest money order office.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Clifton
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Clifton
- Hundred: Henbury
- Province: Canterbury