Compton Abdale is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. Oswald
Parish registers begin: 1720
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Particular Baptist.
Parishes adjacent to Compton Abdale
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COMPTON-ABDALE, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; on the river Colne, 3 miles WNW of Northleach, and 9 SE by E of Cheltenham r. station. Post town, Northleach, under Cheltenham. Acres, 2,215. Real property, £2,047. Pop., 258. Houses, 49. The property is divided among a few. Part of the surface is heath. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £81. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church was repaired in 1859.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Compton-Abdale, 3½ miles N.W. Northleach. P. 260.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Compton-Abdale (St. Oswald), a parish , in the union of Northleach, hundred of Bradley, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 1/4 miles (W. N. W.) from Northleach; containing 260 inhabitants. The river Coln runs through the parish, which is well wooded. The living is a perpetual curacy, net income, £78; patrons and appropriators, Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is a small ancient building.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Northleach
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Bradley
- Province: Canterbury