Coln St Dennis is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places included in the parish: Calcot (or Calcut).
Alternative names: Coln St Denis
Parish church: St. James
Parish registers begin: 1561
Table of Contents
Parishes adjacent to Coln St Dennis
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLN-ST. DENIS, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; on the river Colne, near the Fosse way, 3 miles SSW of Nortlhleach, and 8 NE by N of Cirencester r. station. Post town, Northleach, under Cheltenham. Acres, 2,430. Real property, £2,513. Pop., 206. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £400. Patron, Pembroke College, Oxford. The church is Norman and good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Coln (St. Dennis), 2½ miles S.W. Northleach. P. 200
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Coln Saint Denis Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Coln Saint Denis is a parish and village in Northleach union, containing by the census of 1861, 206, and in 1871, 211 inhabitants, and 1691 acres; in the deanery of Cirencester, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Deerhurst, East Gloucestershire; 3 miles south-west from Northleach, 8 north-east from Cirencester, and 14 south-east from Cheltenham, on the river Coln, near to the old Roman Fossway. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Henry Price, M.A., is valued at £445 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of Pembroke College, Oxford. The church is an ancient edifice, in the Early Norman style, dedicated to St. James, and consists of nave and chancel, with tower and five bells. There is a Parochial School for children of both sexes, which is supported by voluntary contributions, and used for this and the adjoining parish of Coln Rogers. Major General Jeffreys is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The rateable value of this parish is £1963.
Calcot (or Calcut) is a hamlet of this parish.
Price Rev. William Henry, M.A., rector
Trades and Professions
Agg Daniel, relieving officer and registrar of births, deaths and marriages for Bibury District No. 1., Calcot.
Bartlott Jeremiah, parish clerk
Barton Charles, farmer, Manor farm
Cole Wm., farmer and miller, Winson mill (Fairford is the post town for this place)
Hathaway John, miller, Coln St. Denis mill
Kibble Richard, farmer
Mills William, stonemason, Foss bridge
Spencer Frederick, bootmaker and shopkeeper, Calcot
Spencer Miss Mary Ann, day school, Foss bridge
Wilks Mrs. Elizth., dressmaker, Foss bridge
Letter box cleared at 3.10 p.m.; on Sundays at 11.55 a.m. Northleach is the post town and nearest money order office.
Cirencester – Wm. Smith, Mon and Fri
Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Northleach
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Deerhurst
- Province: Canterbury