Coln St. Aldwyn is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St. John the Baptist
Parish registers begin: 1650
Parishes adjacent to Coln St. Aldwyn
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLN-ST. ALDWIN, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; on the river Colne and the Fosse way, 3 miles N by W of Fairford, and 8½ ENE of Cirencester r. station. It has a post office under Swindon. Acres, 3,420. Real property, £3,107. Pop., 516. Houses, 101. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £103. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church is variously Norman, early English, and perpendicular; and was repaired in 1853. Charities, £14.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Cold (St. Aldwin's), 3 m. N. Fairford. P. no return
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Haynes William, Coln St. Aldwyn's, Gloucestershire, miller, May 19, 1835.
Coln Saint Aldwyns Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Coln Saint Aldwyns is a parish and village in Northleach union, containing, by the census of 1861, 516, and in 1871, 523 inhabitants, and 2480 acres; in the deanery of Fairford, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Brightwells Barrow, East Gloucestershire; 3 miles north of Fairford. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Alfred Kent, M. A., is valued at £110 per annum, with residence. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, consisting of nave, chancel, and transept, with a tower containing a peal of eight bells; there are some beautiful stained windows in the chancel. There is a National School for children of both sexes, which was erected in 1856. The poor have charitable bequests producing about £12 per annum. The rateable value of this parish is £3355.
Clergy and Gentry
Beach Sir Michael Edward Hicks, Bart., Williamstrip Park
Kent Rev. Alfred, M.A., The Vicarage
Sullivan Henry Eden, Esq.
Trades and Professions
Barton John, farmer, Manor farm
Castle Lawrence, miller, farmer, and baker
Clarke Mrs. Anne, farmer
Collett Charles, carpenter and joiner
Collett Francis, shopkeeper
Compton Charles, parish clerk
Cooke William, blacksmith
Porter Benjamin, farmer and maltster
Porter John, farmer
Prater Charles, corn dealer, mealman, and farmer
Prater Frederick, baker
Padway Edward, farmer, Swire farm
Sullivan Henry Eden, solicitor
Webb Edward, surveyor
Webb Frederick, steward to Sir Michael Hicks Beach, Bart.
Wilkins James, maltster and beer retailer
Post Office – Mrs. Henrietta Bowl, sub-postmistress. Letters from Fairford arrive at 7.5 a.m., dispatched at 6.30 p.m. Fairford is the nearest money order office.
National School – Miss Wilkie, mistress
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Northleach
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Fairford
- Poor Law Union: Northleach
- Hundred: Brightwells Barrow
- Province: Canterbury