Coln Rogers is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1755
Nonconformists include: Baptist and Independent/Congregational.
Coln-Rogers, 3 m. S.W. Northleach. P. 137
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Thomas Faulks, of Oaksey Sarum, & Catherine Millington, of C. R., lic., 7 Feb. 1780
John Millington, of C. R., & Anne Weeks, of South Cerney, s., lic., 3 July 1781
John Barton, of C.R., & Margaret Lees, of Coln St. Dennis, lic., 29 Mar. 1786
Stephen Tomlin, b., & Elizabeth Child, s., both of C. R., 12 Nov. 1788
Jeremiah Hooper, of Coln St. Aldwine, b., & Anne Barton, s., of C. R., lic., 16 Sept. 1793
John Halford, b., & Mary Midwinter, s., both of C. R., 18 Nov. 1793
Thomas Lees, of Winson, b., & Anna Maria Barton, s., of C. R., lic., 10 Dec. 1793
Thomas Eldridge, b., & Sarah Spencer, s., both of C. R., 20 Feb. 1794
John Lovesy, b., & Rebecca Barton, single woman, both of C. R., lic., 5 Sept. 1794
John Arkill & Mary Pound, both of C. R., 1 Nov. 1794
William Marchant, of Coln St. Dennis, & Elizabeth Sorrill, of C. R., 3 July 1796
William Ireland, of Bibury, & Anne Midwinter, of C. R., 11 Oct. 1796
William Davis & Elizabeth Ayliffe, both of C. R., 12 July 1798
John Norden [or Nurden], & Mary Randle, both of C. R., 4 Nov. 1799
James Tidmarsh & Elizabeth Watts, both of C. R., 19 May 1800
James Chambers, of Minchin Hampton, b., & Jane Howse Millington, of C. R., lic., 16 Jan. 1801
William Humphries, b., of Withington, & Hannah Velinder, s., of C. R., lic., 29 Jan. 1801
John Mathews, b., & Ann Poole, s., both of C. R., 6 July 1801
Thomas Barton, w., of C. R., & Anne Page, s., of Castle Eaton, Wilts, lic., 13 July 1802
Joseph Miles & Elizabeth Matthews, both of C. R., 10 Nov. 1802
William Guest, b., & Elizabeth Gardner, both of C. R., 2 July 1803
John Trotman, of Chedworth, b., & Sarah Day, s., of C. R., 13 Oct. 1804
Thomas Neal & Amy Midwinter, both of C. R., 18 Nov. 1804
Richard Fletcher Howes, b., of Winson, & Mary Millington, s., of C. R., lic., 15 Apr. 1805
Aaron Smith, b., of Rendcombe, & Ann Day, s. of C. R., 27 Apr. 1805
Charles Mitchell, b., of Bibury, & Sarah Randle, s., of C. R., 10 Aug. 1805
William Garner, b., of Lower Guiting, & Anne Neal, of C. R., 3 Feb. 1806
Edward Iles, of C. R., & Nanny Yeate, of Coln St. Dennis, 26 Apr. 1806
John Sadler & Fanny Green, both of C. R., 15 Feb. 1808
John Bullock, of Preston, Glouc., & Mary Porter, s., of C. R., lic., 11 May 1808
George Franklin & Sarah Miles, both of C. R., 4 Jan. 1809
Thomas Spencer, b., of Coln St. Dennis, & Mary Tomlin, s., of C. R., 24 Dec. 1811
Thomas Hicks, w., of C. R., & Anna Maria, Spencer, s., of Coln St. Dennis, 15 Nov. 1812
Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1906.
Coln Rogers is a village and parish in Northleach union, containing, by the census of 1861, 116, and in 1871, 90 inhabitants, and 1508 acres; in the deanery of Cirencester, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Bradley, East Gloucestershire; 3 ½ miles south-west from Northleach and 7 north-east from Cirencester, on the banks of the small river Coln, from whence its name. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Brooks Foster, M. A., rural dean of Cirencester and honorary canon of Gloucester, is valued at £248 per annum, with residence and 40 acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester, who are also lords of the manor and chief owners of the soil. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to Saint Andrew, in the Norman style, consisting of nave, chancel, and tower with three bells.
Goldie Rev. George, M.A., curate in charge, The Rectory
Barton Charles, farmer, Lower farm
Barton John, farmer, Upper farm
Baylis Joseph, parish clerk
Simpkins Henry, blacksmith
Wilson Cornelius, farmer, Pindrup farm
Letter box cleared at 2.50 p.m. on week-days, and 11.30 a.m. on Sundays. Northleach is the post town and nearest money order office.
Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
Coln Rogers is a parish and village, 7 miles north-east from Cirencester railway station, and 3 ½ south-west from Northleach, in Bradbury Hundred, Northleach Union and electoral division, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated on the river Coln. The church of St. Andrew is an old stone building, in the Norman and later styles, the inside of which has been lately restored; it has a nave, chancel, and tower at west end, with 3 bells. The living is a rectory, worth £248 yearly, with residence and 40 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester; the Rev. Henry B. Forster, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a day school for poor children, endowed with £4 17s. 6d. yearly. The population, in 1851, was 156, and the acreage is 1,508a. 1r. 8p; rateable value, £1,332. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is freestone. The Dean and Chapter of Gloucester are lords of the manor, and the Dean and Chapter, with their lessees, are chief landowners. Pindrup is a farm.
Forster Rev. Henry Brooks, M.A., [rector]
Barton Charles, farmer
Barton John, farmer
Smith Lawrence, farmer, Pindrup farm
Letters through Northleach, which is also the nearest money order office.
Day School, Mrs. Guest, mistress
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.