Colesbourne is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Colesborne or Cowlesbourne
Parish registers begin: 1632
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Colesbourne
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
- Poll Books
Parishes adjacent to Colesbourne
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
COLESBORNE, or Coldsborne, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, near the highest source of the river Thames, 3 miles E of Ermine-street, and 7 SSE of Cheltenham r. station. It has a post office under Cheltenham. Acres, 2,200. Real property, £1,872. Pop., 261. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. Colesborne House is the seat of H. Elwes, Esq. Colesborne Pen hill is one of the highest summits in the county. Vestiges of a Roman villa have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £127. Patron, H. Elwes, Esq. The church is early perpendicular English; and was recently restored.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Coldsborne, 7 m. N.E. Cirencester. P. 256
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Colesborne or Cowlesbourne Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Colesborne or Cowlesbourne is a parish and village in Cirencester union, containing, by the census of 1861, 261, and in 1871, 267 inhabitants, and 2174 acres; in the deanery of Winchcomb, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Rapsgate, East Gloucestershire; 7 ½ miles north from Cirencester, and the same distance south-east from Cheltenham, near to the main road between those places. The river Thames passes through this parish. The living is a discharged rectory, valued at £158 per annum, with 85 acres of glebe land, in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles Wilson, and the patronage of John Henry Elwes, Esq., D.L., J.P. The church is an ancient cruciform edifice, in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, chancel, two transepts, and porch, with tower containing two bells. There is a National School for children of both sexes, which is supported at the expense of Mr. and Mrs. Elwes. The rateable value is £1761.
Colesborne Park contains a handsome mansion of modern date in the Elizabethan style, which is the residence of John Henry Elwes, Esq., D.L., J.P., who is lord of the manor, and chief owner of the soil.
Clergy and Gentry
Atkinson Rev. Thomas, B.A., curate
Elwes John Henry, Esq., D.L., J.P., Colesborne park
Trades and Professions
Butt James, farmer, Rapsgate farm
Cook Mrs. Mary, farmer, Penhill farm
Coole George, blacksmith
Edmonds Albert, farmer, Southbury farm
Hall James, shopkeeper and carrier
Parker Edwin, mason
Radway John, carpenter
Sly Mrs. Ann, shopkeeper
Snook John, “ Colesbourn” inn
Walcroft George, shoemaker and parish clerk
Walker Samuel, plasterer
Letters from Andoversford arrive at 9.50 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. Andoversford is the nearest money order office.
Free School – Miss Amelia Devenport, mistress
Carrier – James Hall, Monday
Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Rapsgate
- Province: Canterbury