Coberley is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Cubberley
Parish registers begin: 1539
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Coberley
- Historical Descriptions
- Parish Records
- Poll Books
Parishes adjacent to Coberley
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CUBBERLEY, or Coberley, a parish in Cheltenham district, Gloucester; among the Cotswolds, at the sources of the river Churn, 4½ miles S by E of Cheltenham town and r. station. Post town, Colesborne, under Cheltenham. Acres, 3,421. Real property, £3,063. Pop., 343. Houses, 70. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £320. Patron, Henry Elwes, Esq. The church was built in 1330 by the Berkeleys, then the lords of the manor; and is tolerable. There is a Baptist chapel.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Cubberly, or Coberley, a parish in the hund. of Rapsgate, union of Cheltenham, county ot Gloucester; 4½ miles south-south-east of Cheltenham. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester, and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £10; gross income £326. Patron, in 1835, H. Elwes, Esq. There is a Baptist church here, formed in 1827. Acres 3,800. Houses 34. A.P. £3,536. Pop., in 1801, 161; in 1831, 181. Poor rates, in 1838. £124
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Cubberley, 8m. N.E. Stroud. P. 231
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Cubberley or Coberley Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Cubberley, or Coberley, is a parish and village partly in Bradley Hundred and partly in that of Rapsgate, and Cheltenham Union, 4 ½ miles south-by-east from Cheltenham. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; value, £450 yearly, with residence and 17 acres of glebe land; patron John Henry Elwes, Esq. The population in 1851, was 220; and acreage 3,421. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is an ancient stone building, containing some interesting monuments of Crusaders, and mural tablets. The Rev. Wm. Hicks, M.A., is the incumbent, who resides at the Rectory; his curate, the Rev. John Rudge Relton, M.A. There is a day and Sunday school, chiefly supported by the rector. In this parish is a place called the Seven Springs, being the principal source of the river Thames. Cubberley Court is a farm. The soil is loamy, subsoil stony. The Baptists have a chapel here.
Hicks Rev. William, M.A. Rectory
Relton Rev. John Rudge, M.A. (Curate)
Attwater John Gay, farmer
Brooks John, farmer, Upper Cubberley
Finch George, farmer, Cubberley court
Harman Samuel, farmer
Peachy John, farmer, Upper Cubberley
Shearman James, grocer
Smith Richd. carpenter & parish clerk
Williams Edward, miller
Letters are delivered at ½ past 8 a.m. by foot messenger from Cheltenham, who calls at the parish clerk’s at 5 p.m. on his return to Cheltenham, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Rapsgate
- Province: Canterbury