Coates is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places included in the parish: Tarlton
Parish church: St. Matthew
Parish registers begin: 1566
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Coates, 2½ m. W. Cirencester. P. 373.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Coates, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Cirencester (89) 4 m. W. Pop. 309.
A parish in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 9l. 6s. 8d.; church ded. to St. Matthew; patron (1829) William Tombs, Esq.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
Coates is a parish in Cirencester Union, containing by the census of 1861, 417, and in 1871, 452 inhabitants, and 2450 acres; in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, deanery of Cirencester, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, East Gloucestershire; 2 miles north-west from Tetbury Road Railway Station on the Cheltenham and Swindon junction of the Great Western Railway, and 4 miles west from Cirencester; the Thames and Severn canal passes through the parish. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Crook Gibbs, M.A., is valued at £500 per annum, arising from 480 acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of William T. Drewe, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Matthew, consisting of nave, chancel, north aisle, and porch with tower containing two bells; it was restored in 1860, and has sittings for about 250. There is a National School for children of both sexes. A field in this parish is called the Thames Head, it contains several springs, and is one of the original sources of the river Thames; the springs are mostly dry in summer. The rateable value is £3130.
Tarlton is a small hamlet about 1 ½ mile south-west.
Bailey Henry, Esq., Coates lodge
Cator Albemarle, Esq., Trewsbury house
Gibbs Rev. Thomas Crook, M. A., rector
Howell Mr. Henry, The Elms
Avery Mrs., “Railway hotel,” Tetbury road
Blackwell Henry, farm bailiff to Mrs. Kilmister
Davenport George Henry, National schoolmaster
Dix Mrs. Ann, beer retailer and shopkeeper
Fowler William, farmer, Tarleton
Harding Thomas, carpenter and wheelwright, Tarleton
Howell Henry, farmer and maltster
Kearsey James, farmer, Tarleton
Kearsey Thomas, farmer, Tarleton
Kilmister Mrs. Matilda, farmer, Church farm
Lawrence Mrs. Mary, shopkeeper and beer retailer
Messenger Robert, blacksmith, Tarlton
Newman Henry, stationmaster, Tetbury Road station
Parson Edgecombe, farmer, Southfields
Pritchard Nathaniel, farmer, Jackerman’s bottom
Shipway Robert, parish clerk and sexton
Letters from Cirencester arrive at 8 a.m. Wall letterbox closes at 5.45 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Cirencester.
National School – George Henry Davenport master; Miss Ellen Rosa Davenport mistress
Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.