Clapton is a chapelry of Bourton on the Water Ancient Parish in Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Clapton-on-the-Hill
Parish registers begin: For records see Bourton on the Water
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Clapton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CLAPTON-ON-THE-HILL, a parish in Stow-on-the Wold district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 4¼ miles NE of Northleach, and 7¾ SW of Addlestrop r. station. Post town, Northleach, under Cheltenham. Acres, 783. Real property, £1, 249. Pop., 123. Houses, 27. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Bourton-on-the-Water, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is old and small.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Clapton, 3m. N.E. Northleach. P. 117
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Foxwell William Visard, Clapton, Gloucestershire, cattle dealer, June 5, 1832.
Clapton Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876
Clapton is a parish and village in Stow-on-the-Wold union, containing, by the census of 1861, 123, and in 1871, 138 inhabitants, and 783 acres; in the deanery of Stow, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Lower Slaughter, East Gloucestershire; 5 miles north-east from Northleach, 2 south from Bourton-on-the-Water, and 6 north-west from Burford. The living is a perpetual curacy, which, with Lower Slaughter, is annexed to the rectory of Bourton-on-the-Water, in the incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Joseph Hume, M.A., and the patronage of Wadham College, Oxford; joint annual value, £500. The church is a small ancient edifice, consisting of nave and chancel with one bell. The rateable value of this parish is £1071. Hora Townsend, Esq., and Miss Walmsley, are the principal landowners, the former being lord of the manor.
Trades and Professions
Gardner James, farmer
Goodway Edward Stait, farmer
Hall Josiah, carpenter
Hambridge Mrs. Susannah, farmer, Manor farm
Reynolds Richard, farmer
West John, farmer
Letters through Stow via Bourton-on-the-Water, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876
Clapton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Clapton is a township and parish, distant 2 miles south-east from Bourton-on-the-Water, 6 south from Stow, 4 north from Northleach, and 6 west-north-west from Buford, in Lower Slaughter Hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold Union, East Gloucestershire, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. Near it is a small ancient church for the accommodation of the inhabitants, who consist of a few small farmers and their labourers. The acreage is 783, and the population, in 1851, was 112.
Goodway Thomas, farmer
Hall William, carpenter
Hambridge John, farmer
Hambridge Samuel, farmer
West John, farmer
West William, farmer
Letters are received through Stow, via Bourton-on-the-water. The nearest money order office is at Stow.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stow
- Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
- Hundred: Slaughter
- Province: Canterbury