Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire

Chipping Sodbury is an Ecclesiastical Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1831 from Old Sodbury Ancient Parish.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1661

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Roman Catholic, and Society of Friends/Quaker.

Parishes adjacent to Chipping Sodbury

  • Old Sodbury
  • Yate

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Sodbury (Chipping), a small town, and a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Gloucester. The town stands on a declivity, adjacent to the river Frome, 1 34 mile E of Yate r. station, and 10 12 NE of Bristol; is a seat of petty-sessions, and a polling-place; is governed by a bailiff and 12 burgesses; and has a head post-office, a banking-office, two chief inns, an old town-hall with rebuilt front, a police station, an ancient church with pinnacled tower, Baptist and Quakers’ chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a literary society, a reading-room and library, an endowed grammar-school, a national school, town-lands, £288, a market on the first Tuesday of every month, and fairs on Holy Thursdayand 24 June.

The parish comprises 120 acres. Real property, £2,805. Pop., 1,112. Houses, 249. The manor belongs to W. H. Hartley, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Gloucesterand Bristol. Value, £167. Patron, the Vicar of Old Sodbury. The Sub-district contains also 5 other parishes. Acres, 14,115. Pop., 5,252. Houses, 1,091. The district comprehends also the sub-districts of Marshfield, Hawkesbury, and Iron-Acton; and comprises 62,356 acres. Poor-rates in 1863, £8,087. Pop. in 1851, 18,256; in 1861, 18,763. Houses, 4,020. Marriages in 1863, 76; births, 656, - of which 40 were illegitimate; deaths, 457, - of which 200 were at ages under 5 years, and 15 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 944; births, 5,954; deaths, 3,591.

The places of worship, in 1851, were 27 of the Church of England, with 7,913 sittings; 10 of Independents, with 2,049 s.; 5 of Baptists, with 1,105 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 120 s.; 1 of Unitarians, with 25 s.; 6 of Wesleyans, with 1,206 s.; 3 of Primitive Methodists, with 280 s.; 1 undefined, with 20 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 120 s. The schools were 26 public day-schools, with 1,630 scholars; 32 private day-schools, with 496 s.; 31 Sunday schools, with 2,478 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 3 s. The workhouse is in Yate.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Black’s Guide to Gloucestershire 1865

Chipping-Sodbury, a mile from Yate station, which is 10½ from Bristol, is situated at the foot of a hill near the river Avon. The town was incorporated by Charles II., but, at the request of the inhabitants, the grant was annulled in 1688; it is now governed by certain officers who are appointed by the lord of the manor. There are some excellent markets held here. The population is 1112, and the inhabited houses 249. The principal occupation of the population is supplied by coal-mine’s, which employ 459 persons. A few men are engaged in iron-mining. The Church is a large building, whose only feature of elegance is its tower, which is ancient. There are several Dissenting chapels, that of the Roman Catholics being specially noticeable for its taste. The other buildings are a town-hall and a national school.

Source: Black’s Guide to Gloucestershire Black Adam and Charles, Ltd. 1865

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Chipping-Sodbury, 114 miles S.W. London, and 25 miles S. Gloucester. Mrkt. Thurs. P. 1273

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.


Chipping Sodbury Marriages 1805 to 1812
Chipping Sodbury Marriages 1800 to 1804
Chipping Sodbury Marriages 1790 to 1799


Sodbury (Chipping Sodbury) (inc. Little Sodbury and Old Sodbury) 1791


  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
  • Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
  • Province: Canterbury