Cherington Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Cherington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Other places in the parish include: Westrip.

Parish church: St. Nicholas

Parish registers begin: 1568

Nonconformists include:

Table of Contents

Parishes adjacent to Cherington

Historical Descriptions

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Cherrington, a parish in Tetbury district, Gloucester; 3 ¾ miles NNE of Tetbury, and 3 ¾ WSW of Brimscombe r. station. It includes Westrip hamlet; and its post-town is Avening, under Stroud. Acres, 1,880. Real property, £2,474. Pop., 232. Houses, 48. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £276. Patron, the Rev. W. George. The church was reported in 1859 to need repair. Professor Trap, the translator of Virgil, was a native.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Cherrington, 2 m. S.E. Minchinhampton. P.220

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Cherington (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Tetbury, hundred of Longtree, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (N.N.E.) from Tetbury; containing 220 inhabitants. The ancient manor-house was built by Sir John Turner; the park contains a great number of deer. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's books at £13; net income, £176; patron, Rev. W. George. The church is a small edifice, with a nave, chancel, south transept, and low tower at the west end, exhibiting in some parts traces of the early English style. The Rev. Joseph Trapp, professor of poetry at Oxford, and the translator of Virgil, was born here in 1672.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Marriages

Marriages at Cherington 1569 to 1812

Note. – The Registers, which date from 1568, are contained in two parchment volumes, 10 ½ in. by 7 ¾ in., in original limp covers; and a third volume, 4to, in boards, which has combined printed forms for publication of Banns and registration of Marriages, and contains the entries from 1803. All are well preserved, and the writing, though faint from age in the earlier half of the first volume, is fairly legible.

Where the names of parishes are not given, the persons are resident in that of Cherington.

In the first and second volumes the Register of Marriages are indiscriminately mixed with those of Baptisms and Burials. They have been extracted and copied by the Rev. J. Nowill Bromehead, of Beverston, with the assistance of the Rev. C. Marriott, rector of the parish, and the proof has been collated with the Register.

Marriages at Cherington 1569 to 1812 - UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Cherington Marriages 1803 to 1812

Volume III.

Joseph Fowles & Mary Whiting, 18 Aug. 1803

William Fry, of Tetbury, & Hester Harewell, 20 Jan. 1806

James Hewer, of Kingscote, & Elizabeth Hunt, 28 Dec. 1807

Joseph Cheane & Ann Hall, 31 Oct. 1808

James Smith & Hannah Hall, 22 Nov. 1808

James Spire, of Tewkesbury, & Mary Harewell, 15 July 1811

William Whiting & Phoebe Ann White, 2 Aug. 1812

Robert Hyde & Frances Hamlin, 5 Nov. 1812


Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1906

Cherington Marriages 1760 to 1803

Joshua Handcock, of Minchinhampton, & Ann Farr, lic., 20 Aug. 1760

Thomas Young & Mary Freeman, 3 Feb. 1761

John Hayward, of Ampney St. Peter, & Rachel Kilmaster, lic., 23 Feb. 1762

Giles Whiting & Mary Whiting, 1 Sept. 1763

Abraham Lovelock & Mary Young, 17 Oct. 1763

Thomas Miller, of Avening, & Martha Cox, 22 Feb. 1764

Samuel Whiting & Hannah Robbins, of Avening, 2 Oct. 1764

Thomas Williams & Anna Gyles, 11 Oct. 1764

Richard White & Ann Ledington, 12 Nov. 1764

William Millard, of Avening, & Martha Strong, 24 Feb. 1766

John Freeman & Elizabeth Parker, of Minchinhampton, 1 Apr. 1766

John Whiting, of Minchinhampton, & Ann Whiting, 17 Dec. 1767

John Tanner & Sarah Morse, 2 Aug. 1768

Samuel Barnfield & Martha Young, 4 Apr. 1769

John Leversage & Sarah Hillier, of Horsley, 25 Apr. 1769

John Crow & Mary Little, 11 Oct. 1769

Thomas Kilmaster & Sarah Whiting, 16 Dec. 1769

Samuel Fowls & Hannah Essex, 4 Jan. 1770

William Hains & Mary Hall, 15 July 1770

Samuel Brown & Ann Lane, w., 10 Feb. 1771

Thomas Dicks & Betty Harvey, of Avening, 18 Feb. 1773

William Wilkins & Jane Brown, 4 Oct. 1773

John Freeman & Elizabeth Stephens, of Crudwell, Wilts, 10 July 1774

Richard Killmaster, of Rodmarton, & Hannah Killmaster, 17 Nov. 1777

Edmund Griffin & Sarah Deacon, 19 Jan. 1778

George Millard & Hannah Cooper, 11 June 1778

George Lane & Susannah Whiting, 13 Oct. 1778

James Morton & Jane Whiting, 22 Nov. 1778

James Barrett, of Tetbury, & Mary Turner, 10 Dec. 1781

James Cook & Mary Deacon, 28 Aug. 1782

Edward Habgood & Ann Lane, 20 June 1783

John George, of Avening, & Elizabeth Leversage, 17 Aug. 1784

Jonathan Clevely & Ann Rodway, 23 Nov. 1784

Benjamin Lawrence, of Stonehouse, & Hannah Miller, w., 24 Jan. 1786

Thomas Moody, of Hawksbury, & Martha Jones, 31 Oct. 1786

William Smith, of Rodmarton, & Mary Wigmore, 19 Sept. 1787

Joseph Bennet & Ann Peters, 20 May 1789

Henry Gleed & Ann Boulton, 11 Oct. 1790

William White & Jane Handcock, 28 Aug. 1791

Albright Robbins & Ann Houlder, 13 Oct. 1791

James Boulton & Jane Washbourn, 1 Sept. 1794

Thomas Young & Mary Dickes, 30 Apr. 1795

John Townsend & Ann Smith, 16 Nov. 1795

Robert Trueman, of Avening, & Ann Goldsmith, 21 Apr. 1796

Robert Killmister & Jane Reeve, 19 July 1796

Richard White & Phoebe Ann Bubb, 19 Aug. 1796

James Hall & Mary Dickes, 29 Oct. 1796

Samuel Fowls & Eleanor Whiting, 17 Nov. 1796

Thomas Sharp & Mary Wear, 29 Nov. 1796

John Shilham & Ann Bishop, 4 Oct. 1797

Thomas Hunt, of Tetbury, & Sarah Tuffley, 25 June 1798

Thomas Turner & Mary Gibbons, 3 Oct. 1799

George Wathen, of Painswick, & Sarah Leversage, 2 Jan. 1800

Isaac Hall & Mary Clay, 9 June 1800

William Watts, of Avening, & Betty Dicks, 1 Aug. 1800

Thomas Ratcliff, of Woodchester, & Mary Young, 27 Nov. 1800

John Hobbs & Elizabeth Pearce, 16 Nov. 1801

John Poole & Betty Pitt, 31 Dec. 1801

Thomas Shilham & Betty Barret, 8 Apr. 1802

William White, w., & Ann Brown, 30 May 1803

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol. XII. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1906

Poll Books

Cherington Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Cherington Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Cherrington is a parish and village in Tetbury union, containing, by the census of 1861, 232, and in 1871, 237 inhabitants, with 2174 acres of land; in the deanery of Stonehouse, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; 4 miles north from Tetbury, 5 west from Tetbury Road Station, 7 south-east from Stroud, and 8 south-west from Cirencester, about one mile east off the main road from Tetbury to Minchinhampton. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Wood, is valued at £369 per annum, and is in the patronage of trustees. The church is an ancient Saxon edifice, dedicated to St. Nicholas, consisting of nave, chancel, and porch. There is a school for children of both sexes, supported by the trustees of the late Miss George. The rateable value of this parish is £2209.

Clergy and Gentry

George Mrs. Emily Mary, Cherrington park
Wood Rev. Joseph, The Rectory

Trades and Professions

Fleming Miss Harriet Elizabeth, mistress of Endowed School
Fowler Saml. Selman, farmer, Grove farm
Fowles George, farmer and miller, Westrip farm
Fowles Mrs. Sarah, shopkeeper
Hall Jesse, farmer and baker, and beer retailer
Kilmister William, farmer, Trull house
Lane Miss Ann, laundress
Roberts Richd., carpenter and wheelwright
White John Mills, farmer, Cox’s farm
White Thos., farmer, “Trouble House” inn

Letters through Stroud. Wall Letter Box cleared at 4.45 p.m. daily. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Minchinhampton.

Endowed School – Miss Harriet Elizabeth Fleming, mistress.

Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876

Cherrington Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Cherrington is a township, parish and village, 5 miles west from Tetbury road station, 5 south-east from Stroud, 4 north from Tetbury, 8 south-west-by-south from Cirencester, and 98 from London, in Longtree Hundred, Tetbury, Union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol archbishopric. It is situated 1 mile east from the Tetbury road to Minchinhampton. The church of St. Nicholas is an old stone building, in the Saxon style; has nave, chancel and porch. The living is a rectory, worth £176 yearly, in the gift of the Rev. W. George, who is also the incumbent. There is a mixed school, supported by Miss George. The population, in 1851, was 220, and the acreage is 2,576. The soil is light loamy, the subsoil is oolite. – Gordon, Esq., is lord of the manor, and the Rev. William George and Robert Kilmister are chief landowners.
Westrip is a hamlet. Trull and The Grove are the names of farms.

Gentry
George Rev. William, Rectory
Lane Mr. Thomas

Traders
Fowles John, farmer & miller, Westrip
Fowles Sarah (Mrs.), baker & shopkpr
Hall Jesse, baker & farmer
Kilmister Robert, farmer, Trull farm
Roberts Richd. carpenter & whlwright
Stafford Frederick, farmer, Grove farm
White John, farmer, Cherrington farm
White Thomas, ‘Waggon & Horses’

Letters through Stroud, which is also the nearest money order office.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tetbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Tetbury
  • Hundred: Longtree
  • Province: Canterbury