Chalford is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1842 from chapelry in Bisley Ancient Parish.
Other places in the parish: Brownshill
Parish registers begin: 1841
Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Independent/Congregational, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.
Parishes adjacent to Chalford
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
CHALFORD, a chapelry in Bisley parish, Gloucester; on the Stroudwater canal and the Cheltenham and Western Union railway, adjacent to Brimscomb r. station, and 3½ miles ESE of Stroud. It has a post office under Stroud. It was constituted in 1842. Pop., 2,008. Houses, 509. Much of the surface is a picturesque reach of valley, called Chalford Bottom; and many of the inhabitants are employed in various manufactures. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £150. Patron, the Archdeacon of Gloucester. The church was built in 1724. There are chapels for Independents, Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, and two public schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Universal British Directory 1791
Chalford is two miles from Bisley, but in the same parish: it is a narrow but pleasant vale, the Thames and Severn canal running quite through it, with a large stream of water besides, on which are erected a great many mills for dressing of cloth, as the place is very noted for making of all sorts of broad cloths. The situation of this place is singularly romantic, and uncommonly pleasing. Here is carried on the woollen manufacture in different branches, and here are eight fulling mills, with tenters, &c. Its church has been new paved. It is lofty and large, with a nave and two aisles, and a high spire; in it are some ancient monuments.
Source: Universal British Directory 1791
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Gardiner William, Chalford, Gloucestershire, clothier &. brewer, Feb. 16, 1827.
Innell Charles, Chalford, Gloucestershire, clothier, April 16, 1825.
Lambert John Trotman, Chalford, Gloucestershire, clothier, Feb. 13, 1827.
Smart Charles, Chalford, Bisley, Gloucestershire, baker, July 27, 1827.
Toghill William, Chalford, Gloucestershire, clothier, Nov. 14, 1826.
Tye John, Chalford, Gloucestershire, draper, April 9, 1830.
Winn John, Brownshill, Gloucestershire, clothier, March 25, 1828.
The following newspapers cover the area.
Cheltenham Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Examiner (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Journal and Gloucestershire Fashionable Weekly Gazette (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Looker-On (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cheltenham Mercury (The British Newspaper Archive)
Cirencester Times and Cotswold Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucester Citizen (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucester Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucestershire Chronicle (The British Newspaper Archive)
Gloucestershire Echo (The British Newspaper Archive)
Stroud Journal (The British Newspaper Archive)
Stroud News and Gloucestershire Advertiser (The British Newspaper Archive)
Wilts and Gloucestershire Standard (The British Newspaper Archive)
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Bisley
- Province: Canterbury