Cainscross, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Cainscross is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1838 from chapelry in Stonehouse Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Cain's-Cross

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1837

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Cainscross

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CAINSCROSS, a chapelry in Stonehouse, Stroud, and Randwick parishes, Gloucester; on the Western Union railway, 1 mile W of Stroud. It has a post office under Stroud. It was constituted in 1837. Pop., 1,916. Houses, 425. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, not reported. Patron, Mrs. Croome. The church is modern. There is a national school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Cain's-Cross, a hamlet, partly in the parish of Stroud, hundred of Bisley, and partly in the parishes of Stonehouse and Randwick, hundred of Whitstone, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 2 miles (W.) from Stroud. A district church, erected at an expense of £3600, raised chiefly by subscription, was consecrated on the 29th of January, 1837. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Colonel Daubeny, who endowed it with £1000, vested in the funds; the district assigned to it comprises the villages of Cain's Cross, Ebley, Westrip, Dudbridge, and Pakenhill.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Directories

Cainscross Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Cainscross is a village, in the parishes of Stonehouse, Randwick and Stroud, and with Ebley, Dudbridge, and parts of Pakin Hill and Westrip forms an ecclesiastical district, 102 ½ miles west from London, 1 from Stroud, and 12 from Gloucester. In the Whitstone Hundred, Stroud Union, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric.  It is situated near the Thames and Severn Canal, and South Wales railway.  The church of St. Matthew is a pretty stone building of recent erection, in the mixed style; has tower, nave, aisles, porch, chancel, organ, 1 bell, monuments, and font.  The living is a perpetual curacy, supported by pew rents, with residence.  John Geale Uwins, M.A., is the incumbent.  There is a National school for boys and girls.  The charities amount to £10 yearly.

Ebley is an adjoining village.

Cainscross.
Apperly John, esq
Barnard Mr. Thomas
Billingsley Samuel, esq
Croome Thomas Clutterbuck, esq
Hallewell Mrs. Clare villa
King Mrs.
Mason Misses
Mills Mr. Richard
Mosley Mr. John
Uwins Rev. John Geale, M.A. Parsonage house

Traders
Apperly John, boot & shoe maker
Bird Samuel, grocer & draper
Carpenter Edward & Co. brewers
Chandler Benjamin, butcher
Cooke Jsph. tea dlr. & boot & shoe ma
Croome & Harris, solicitors & agents to the Royal Farmers’ fire & life & Law life offices
Curtis William, hairdresser
Darke Richd. ‘White Horse,’ & butcher
Davis Danl. auctionr. & land & estate agt
Dickman Benjamin, tailor
Dudbridge John, tailor
Ellary Eliza (Miss), seminary
Evans Charles James, agent to the Kent Mutual fire & life office
Giles Elizabeth (Miss), milliner
Gobey William & James, plasterers
Godsell Thomas, maltster
Hall John, baker & grocer
Harper John, carpenter
Hayward Joseph, ‘Golden Cross’
Hill James, livery stables
Hoskins Daniel, blacksmith
Lucas William, pork butcher
Mabbett Henry, wheelwright & carpntr
Meridith Samuel, beer retailer
Neate William, cabinet maker
Nurse Frederick, coal merchant
Phipps Samuel, solicitor, perpetual commissioner for taking acknowledgments of married women, & agent to the Protector fire & life office
Poole & Soule, chemists, druggists & stationers
Rodway Daniel, boot & shoe maker
Smith Henry Chas. Grocer & postmaster
Stephens James, boarding & day school
Vizer Maria (Miss), milliner & dress ma
Watts Jane (Mrs.), bookseller & statnr
Woodward Henry, shopkeeper & baker

Post Office. – Henry Charles Smith, receiver.  Letters through Stroud arrive at 8 a.m.; & are dispatched at ¼ to 5 p.m., & 20 min. past 8 p.m.  The nearest money order office is at Stroud.

Insurance Agents: -
Kent Mutual Fire & Life, Charles James Evans
Law Life, Croome & Harris
Protector Fire & Life, Samuel Phipps
Royal Farmers’ Fire & Life, Croome & Harris

St. Matthew’s Church, Rev. John Geale Uwins, M.A.

National School (for boys & girls), George Jesson Davis, master; Miss Harriet Wright, mistress

Reading Rooms & Library, James Stephens, secretary

Savings Bank (open on Mondays, from 11 morn. Till 1 aft.); Edwin Bucknall, actuary

Public Notary Office, Thomas Clutterbuck Croome

Commissioners for taking acknowledgements of married women, Thomas Clutterbuck Croome, & Samuel Phipps

Carrier – Edwin Jones, by van to Stonehouse, Eastington, Frampton-on-Severn, & Arlingham, every Friday

Omnibus to & from Stroud & Stonehouse four time daily, from the White Horse inn

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856

Cainscross Gell and Bradshaw 1820

Brewer Isaac, saddler
Clutterbuck Wm., shear manufacturer
Croome Thomas, Esq., attorney
Dickman Arthur, innkeeper
Gardner Thomas, grocer
Hodges Jab., innkeeper
Trigg Wm., coroner
Wakefield James, grocer and corn dealer

Source: The Gloucestershire Directory; R. Gell & T. Bradshaw; Printed by J. Roberts, Gloucester 1820

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Stroud
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
  • Poor Law Union: Stroud
  • Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
  • Province: Canterbury