Bussage is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1848 from Bisley Ancient Parish.
Parish church: St. Michael
Parish registers begin: 1848 (Bishop's Transcripts)
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Bussage
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BUSSAGE, a chapelry in Bisley parish, Gloucester; adjacent to the Cheltenham and Western Union railway, 3 miles E of Stroud. Post Town, Chalford, under Stroud. Pop., 312. Houses, 73. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £30. Patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Bussage Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Bussage is an ecclesiastical district and village, 1 miles north from Brimscombe railway station, 3 ½ from Stroud, and 10 from Cirencester, in Bisley parish and Hundred, Stroud Union, Eastern division of the county, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol diocese. It is situated near the Thames and Severn canal, and Stroudwater road. The church of St. Michael is a new stone building in the decorated style of architecture, and has tower, nave, aisle, porch, chancel, organ, 1 bell, and font. The living is a perpetual curacy, worth about £60 yearly, with residence; the income derived from glebe land in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol; the Rev. Robert George Swayne, M.A., is the incumbent; and the Rev. Thomas Keble, jun., M.A., is the curate. There is a National school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 311. The soil is loamy; the subsoil is clay, oolite. John Edward Dorington, Esq., is lord of the manor; and Miss Gordon, the Misses Hopton, and William Davis, Esq., are chief landowners.
Davis William, esq
Keble Rev. Thomas, M.A [curate]
Poole Mrs. Brown’s hill house
Swayne Rev. Robert George, M.A. Parsonage house
Price Mr. John
Bird John, shoemaker
Bubb Henry, shopkeeper
Davis Levi, shopkeeper
Rogers Ann (Mrs.), ‘Ram’
Selwyn Thomas, shopkeeper
Smith Samuel, shopkeeper
Letters through Stroud, which is also the nearest money order office
St. Michael’s Church, Rev. Robert George Swayne, M.A.; Rev. Thomas Keble, M.A.
National School, Solomon Piper, master; Miss Elizabeth Marmont, mistress
House of Mercy for Female Penitents, Rev. Thomas Keble, M.A., chaplain
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stroud
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Stonehouse
- Poor Law Union: Stroud
- Hundred: Bisley
- Province: Canterbury