Bromsberrow is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Alternative names: Bromesberrow, Bromsborough, anciently Brunmeberge
Parish church: St. Mary
Parish registers begin: 1558
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist
Bromsberrow, 2 m. S.E. Ledbury. P. 283 Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Bromsberrow (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Newent, hundred of Botloe, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (S. E.) from Ledbury; containing 283 inhabitants. This parish, which anciently formed part of Malvern chase, was, for many years, the property of the Yate family, from whom it was purchased by the late David Ricardo, Esq., and is now the property of his son, Osman Ricardo, Esq., lord of the manor; it comprises by computation 1630 acres, of which about 1000 are arable, 381 meadow and pasture, and 119 wood. The soil is rather of a sandy nature; the surface is strikingly varied, and the scenery, which is greatly enriched with wood, is highly picturesque. Keysend Hill, the last of the Malvern range, is within the parish, where stone is quarried for building, and for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the King’s books at £7. 15.; patron, Earl Beauchamp: the tithes have been commuted for £350, and there is a good glebe-house, with a glebe of 55 acres. The church is an ancient edifice, with a low tower; adjoining the chancel is the mausoleum of the Yate family, built about a century since. A small school is supported by private charity. Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
Bromsborrow, co. Gloucester. P. T. Ledbury (120) 3½ m. ESE. Pop. 335.
A parish in the hundred of Botloe; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 7l. 15s.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron (1829) the Earl Beauchamp Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.