Parish registers begin: 1654
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist and Roman Catholic.
Table of Contents
- Parishes adjacent to Bourton on the Water
- Historical Descriptions
Parishes adjacent to Bourton on the Water
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOURTON-ON-THE-WATER, a village and a parish in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester. The village stands on the river Windrush, and on the Fosse way, at the terminus of the Bourton-on-the-Water railway, 4 miles SSW of Stow-on-the-Wold: and has a post office under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. The parish comprises 2,282 acres. Real property, £6,188. Pop., 1,011. Houses, 234. The property is much subdivided. Many Roman antiquities, one of them a curious gold signet, have been found in the vicinity of the village; and there was formerly a paved aqueduct. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacies of Clapton and Lower Slaughter, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £475. Patron, Wadham College, Oxford. The church is Grecian, and has a lofty tower, surmounted by a cupola. There are a Baptist chapel and two public schools.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bourton-on-the-Water, a parish in the lower division of the hund, of Slaughter, union of Stow-on-the-Wold, county of Gloucester; 4 miles south-south-west of Stow-on-the-Wold. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol, with the curacies of Clapton and Low-Slaughter united; valued at £27 2s. 8½d.; gross income £575; nett income £475. Patron, in 1835, the Rev. J. Croome. The church is a handsome Grecian edifice. The great and small tithes of Bourton-on-the-Water, and Clapton-on-the-Hill, the property of the clerical rector and lay-impropriator, were commuted in 1773. A Baptist church here was formed in 1645. There are four daily schools here, one of which is endowed with £12 per annum, accruing from property bequeathed by Anthony Collett, Esq., in 1719. There are also two Sunday schools. This parish is crossed by the Roman fosse-way, and many Roman antiquities have been found in the vicinity of the village. Among these, a curious gold signet, bearing the impress of a soldier seated on a tripod, with a spear in his left hand and the Roman eagle at his feet, is worthy of notice. A paved aqueduct formerly existed here. Pop., in 1801, 697; in 1831, 858. Houses 183. Acres 2,290. A. P. £5,088. Poor rates, in 1837, £249.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bourton-on-the-Water, 5 m. N.E. Northleach. P. 943
Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Marriages at Bourton-on-the-Water 1654 to 1837
Note. – The parish of Bourton-on-the-Water includes also Clapton and Lower Slaughter, which adjoin.
Volume I consists of thirty parchment leaves, each leaf is 6 ¾ in. by 11 in. The covers are of stiff cardboard, and the book is tied together with leather strings. This Volume contains Births, Baptisms, Banns, Marriages and Burials from 1654 to 1715. There is no system of entering under the various heads, but the entries are all mixed, and in some cases out of their proper chronological order. Several entries are missing on account of parts of the leaves being cut away. Between leaves four and five one complete leaf is cut out. The lower parts of leaves 12, 16, 18, and 30 have been cut away. Generally speaking, this Volume has been fairly well kept, and only a few breaks occur.
Volume II consists of 72 parchment leaves, each leaf is 6 ¼ by 15 ¼ ins. the covers are of stiff parchment. This volume contains Births, Baptisms, and Burials from 1716 to 1812, and Marriages from 1716 to 1754. There is no system of entering under the various heads till 1752, but after this date the entries are so arranged. Leaves 5, 6, 7, 11, 13, 17, 18, 21, 22, 36, 38, and 57 are written on one side only. Leaves 58 to 68 are not written upon. The lower part of leaves 18, 41, 42, 43, and 69 have bee cut away, but only in leaf 43 are there any entries missing. After leaf 68, the Volume is turned upside down, and the last four leaves contain Burials from 1759 to 1781. Leaf 72 has two holes burnt in it. The Volume is in fairly good order, and only a few breaks occur.
Volume III contains Banns and Marriages from 1750 to 1780. There are eight entries of Banns without Marriages, and 182 Marriage entries.
Volume IV contains Banns and Marriages from 1781 to 1805. The first 125 entries are Banns, followed by 165 entries of Marriages. The first seventeen leaves are printed forms for Banns only, and the remaining twenty-eight leaves of the Volume are for Marriages.
Volume V contains Marriages from 1813 to 1837 at Bourton-on-the-Water and Clapton only. The Registers for Lower Slaughter being kept separate after 1812.
These Marriages abstracts have been made by the Misses Agatha and Rhoda Pratt, and are now printed under their supervision by permission of the Rev. W. E. White, Rector of Bourton-on-the-Water and Rural Dean.
Bourton-on-the-Water Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Bourton-on-the-Water is a township, parish, and genteel and pretty village, 4 miles south-south-west from Stow-on-the-Wold, 5 north-north-east from Northleach, 7 from Adlestrop station on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton railway, in Slaughter hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold union, East Gloucestershire, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol diocese. It is situated on the river Windrush, which runs through the midst of the village, the houses being situated on either bank. The clothing business was formerly carried on to some extent, but has long since declined. It has two flour mills, maltings, &c. The church of St. Lawrence is an old and noble stone building, in various styles of architecture; it has a lofty tower, surmounted by a dome. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Lower Slaughter annexed, worth £500 yearly, with residence, in the gift of Wadham College, Oxford; the Rev. Robert Waller, M.A., is the incumbent, the Rev. Thomas Boggis, B.A., is the curate. There is a handsome and commodious Baptist Chapel, which is well attended, a large proportion of the more wealthy inhabitants being Dissenters. There are National, British and Foreign schools. There are the remains of a large Roman encampment in the neighbourhood. The population, in 1851, was 1,040, and the acreage is 2,467. The soil is stone brash and clay. The executors of the late J. Wilkins, Esq., are lords of the manor. There are several charities.
Gentry.Bennett John, esq. the Bury
Boggis Rev. Thomas, B. A. [Curate]
Brooks Rev. Thomas [Baptist]
Hall Rev. Benjamin S
Hanks Misses, Camp house
Luckett Mr. Richard
Stenson Nathaniel, esq.
Waller Rev. Robert, M.A. Rectory
Albino Vitore, working jeweller
Ashwin James, farmer
Barton Thomas, miller & farmer
Bayliss & Hayward, milliners & dressma
Brindle John, slater & plasterer
Brindle Thomas, baker
Bubb John, cattle dealer
Bumpus Mary (Mrs.), baker
Clifford George, mason
Collett George, blacksmith
Collett Thomas, cattle dealer & farmer
Collins Henry Ramsey, surgeon
Durham Edward, tailor
Fourth Thomas, shoemaker
Fox John, shopkeeper
Hartwell Henry, smith, tinplate worker & plumber
Hartwell John, whitesmith
Hartwell William, beer retailer
Hawkins Robert, carpenter
Hobbs Henry, slater & plasterer
Keck Edward H. tailor & draper
Kendall & Son, solicitors
Kendall Frederick, chemist
Lock William, beer retailer
Lodge Jesse, farmer
Lucas Thomas, New inn
Luckett Thos. farmer, Bourton hill frm
Lund William, tailor
Marshall Edwin, butcher
Moore John, surgeon
Painter Charles, carpenter
Painter Isaac, ‘Woodman, & carpenter
Painter John, wheelwright
Painter William, ironmonger & timber merchant
Palmer Thomas, draper, grocer, sub-postmaster & agent to the Union fire & life
Payn James, plumber & glazier
Phillips Richard, shopkeeper
Phillips William, smith
Ransfords & Ennals, linen & woollen drapers, family grocers & hop & provision factors
Rowland William, slater & plasterer
Shillem John, horse dealer
Slatter Thomas, harness maker
Smith Edward, shoemaker
Stenson Nathaniel, physician
Stokey Frederick, ‘Wellington’
Teall Stephen, boot & shoe maker
Trafford William, basket maker
Trotman Robert, carrier & beer retailer
Turner John, harness maker
Wheeler Robert, harness maker
Wells William, surgeon & registrar of births & deaths
Wilkins Henry, ‘Coach & Horses,” & farmer
Wilkins Thomas, miller, baker & farmer
Wilkins William, butcher & farmer
Post Office. – Thomas Palmer, postmaster. Letters by mail cart from Moreton-in-the-Marsh arrive at ½ past 10 am. & are dispatched at 20 min. to 6 p.m. The nearest money order office is Stow-on-the-Wold
Established Church, Rev. Robert Waller, M.A. rector & Rev. Thomas Boggis B.A. curate.
Public Schools: -
National, Miss Ann Wrandon, mistress
British & Foreign, Miss Amelia Hartwell, mistress
Carrier to Cheltenham – Robert Trotman, Mondays & Thursdays; returns the same days
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Stow on the Wold
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Stow
- Poor Law Union: Stow on the Wold
- Hundred: Slaughter
- Province: Canterbury