Bourton on the Hill is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Moreton in Marsh is a chapelry of Bourton on the Hill.
Parish church: St Lawrence
Parish registers begin: 1568
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational
Parishes adjacent to Bourton on the Hill
- Cutsdean (Worcestershire)
- Blockley (Worcestershire)
- Moreton in Marsh
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BOURTON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a parish in Shipston-on-Stour district, Gloucester. The village stands on the side of a hill, commanding a delightful Prospect, 2½ miles W of Moreton r. station, and 4½ N by W of Stow-on-the-Wold; and has a post office under Moreton-in-the-Marsh. The parish comprises 2,960 acres. Real property, £3,663. Pop., 506. Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £675. Patron, Lord Redesdale. The church is good; and there are school charities £112.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Bourton-on-the-Hill, a parish in the upper divisions of the hundreds of Tewksbury and Westminster, union of Shipston-on-Stour, county of Gloucester; 2 miles west of Moreton-in-the-Marsh, on the post-road to Evesham. It stands on the side of a hill, whence the prospect is varied and delightful. Living, a rectory in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £14, with the perpetual curacy of Moreton-in-the-Mnrsh annexed; gross income £675. Patron, in 1835, Dr. Warneford. The great and small tithes of Bourton-on-the-Hill and Moreton-in-the-Marsh, the property of the clerical rector and lay-impropriator, were commuted in 1821. This parish possesses two endowed Sunday schools and a daily school. Pop., in 1801. 369; in 1831, 553. Houses 111. Acres 2,960. A. P. £1,221. Poor rates, in 1837, £239
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Bourton-on-the-Hill, 1 mile W. Moreton-in-the-Marsh. P. 542
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Davis John, Bourton-on-the-Hill, Gloucestershire, auctioneer, Feb. 10, 1832.
Birth Marriage and Death Records
Migration and Naturalisation Records
Probate and Court Records
Poll Book 1834, Bourton-on-the-Hill Gloucestershire
Below are the names of those that voted in the election of August 1834 between Christopher William Codrington, Esquire, and Charles Hanbury Tracy Leigh, Esquire. For more information see Poll Book 1834.
Poll Book of the Election, August 1834 for the Eastern Division of the County of Gloucester.
Campden Polling District
|Allies Walter||“Saint John’s Worcestershire”||tenant in common||Bourton-on-the-Hill|
|Allies George||“Hill house near Worcester”||ditto||ditto|
|Allies William||Emerald Cottage nr. Worcester||ditto||ditto|
|Allies Edward||Alfrick Suckley Worcestersh.||ditto||ditto|
|Allies Jabez||Catherine Villa London-road||freehold house &c||ditto|
|Cornbill Thomas||Bushley Worcestershire||freehold house||ditto|
|Cudd Joseph||New Inn St. Aldgate Oxford.||ditto||ditto|
|Gardner John||Bourton-on-the-Hill||renter of house &c.||ditto|
|Gardner Ralph||ditto||freehold house||ditto|
|Gillett Joseph||The Retreat||ditto||ditto|
|Longford William||Stretton-on-Foss Warwicksh.||freehold house||ditto|
|Mason John||The Retreat||freehold house||ditto|
|Phillips William||Bourton-on-the-Hill||renter of house &c.||ditto|
|Phillips William||Great Wolford Warwickshire||freehold land||ditto|
|Stayt Thomas||Bourton-on-the-Hill||renter of house &c||ditto|
|Taylor John||ditto||freehold house||ditto|
|Wheatley James||ditto||renter of house &c||ditto|
|Warneford Wilson Samuel||Rectory house ditto||freehold house &c||ditto|
Bourton-on-the-Hill Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856
Bourton-on-the-Hill is a township and village pleasantly situated 2 miles from Moreton station on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton line of railway, 30 miles from Gloucester, and 4 from Campden, in the Hundred of Tewkesbury and Westminster and Union of Shipston-on-Stour, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a stone building, having a plain tower, aisles and 6 bells. The living is a rectory attached to Moreton-in-the-Marsh; the Rev. Robert Jarratt is the present incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 550; the acreage contained in the parish is 2,771 acres. The Right Hon. Lord Redesdale is lord of the manor.
East Sir James Buller, bart. MP. Bourton house
Jarratt Rev. Robert [rector]
Bartlett Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer & shopkeeper
Callis William, baker & butcher
Darling Samuel, ‘Horse & Groom’
Davis Francis, grocer
Grey Alfred, shopkeeper
Hatherway Thomas, farmer
Haycock Daniel, blacksmith
Hobbs William, shoemaker
Lamb Henry, shoemaker
Packer John, blacksmith & beer retailer
Phillips John, farmer
Simmons Robert, tailor & postmaster
Stayte Thomas, farmer
Wheatley Joseph, farmer & baker
White Joseph, tailor
Wright on Edwin, farmer
Letters are received through Moreton-in-the-Marsh, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Campden
- Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
- Hundred: Tewkesbury; Westminster (Gloucestershire)
- Province: Canterbury