Bibury Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Bibury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Winson is a chapelry of Bibury.

The parish contains the chapelry of Winson, the township of Bibury, and the tythings of Ablington and Arlington.

Parish church: St Mary

Parish registers begin: 1551

Nonconformists include: Baptist

Parishes adjacent to Bibury

Historical Descriptions

Bibury

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Bibury, 7 miles N.E. Cirencester. P. 1077.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bibury Court

Bibury Court by John Menard from Phoenix, USA. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

Bibury, a parish, partly in the hund. of Bradley, and partly in that of Brightwell's Barrow, union of Northleach, county of Gloucester; 4 miles north west of Fairford, intersected by the proposed Ireland, Cheltenham, and London Junction railway. It contains the chapelry of Winson, the township of Bibury, and the tythings of Ablington and Arlington. Living, a discharged vicarage, united with the curacy of Winson; valued at £13 1s. 5½d.; gross income £1,045; a peculiar, within which the vicar exercises concurrent jurisdiction with the consistory court of Gloucester. Patron, in 1835, Lord Sherborne. The north and south doors of the church, supposed to have been rebuilt by the works of Osenay, are of Norman architecture. All tithes, the property of the lay-impropriator and vicar, were commuted in 1767. There are two daily schools here, one of which, on the Lancasterian system, is partly supported by an allowance of £5 per annum from Lord Sherborne, who has also provided the necessary accommodation, and a day and boarding school. There is an alms-house here, endowed by Hugh Westwood, for four poor men. It is a stone building, consisting of four apartments. Other charities connected with the parish produce £11 per annum. Petty sessions for the division of Bibury are held at the Swan inn here. Races take place in July. Pop., in 1801, 852; in 1831, 950. Houses 201. Acres 6,300. A.P. £2,022. Poor rates, in 1837, £329.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Cottages by Arlington Row in Bibury

Cottages by Arlington Row in Bibury. The copyright on this image is owned by Steve Daniels and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Ablington

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Ablington, a tything in Bibury parish, Gloucester; on the river Coln, 5½ miles NW of Fairford. Pop., 113. Houses, 21.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72]

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ablington, 6 m. N.E. Cirencester. P. 96.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Ablington, a tything, in the parish of Bibury, Union of Northleach, hundred of Brightwell’s-Barrow, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 5¼ miles (N.W. by N.) from Fairford; containing 96 inhabitants. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £364. 5.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Ablington, a tything in the parish of Bibury, Gloucestershire; 5½ miles north-north-west from Fairford, and 1½ from Bibury. Pop., in 1801, 118; in 1831, 103.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Ablington, co. Gloucesier.

P. T. Fairford (80) 5¼ m. NNW. Pop. 127.

A tything in the parish of Bibury and hundred of Brightswell Barron.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom Capper 1808

Ablington, a hamlet to Bibury, in the hundred of Brightwell Barrow, Gloucester, 6 miles from Cirencester; containing 22 houses and 113 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of the United Kingdom. Benjamin Pitts Capper. 1808.

Arlington

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Arlington, in Bibury parish. P. 731

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Arlington, a tything in the parish of Bibury, county of Gloucester; 4 miles north-north-west from Fairford. Pop., in 1801, 274; in 1831, 333. Houses 79. There is a Baptist church here.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Arlington, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Fairford (80) 4 m. NNW. Pop. 317.

A tything in the parish of Bibury and hundred of Brightwells-Barrow

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Winston

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Winston, in Bibury, 6 miles N.W. Cirencester. P. 202

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Directories

Bibury Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Bibury is a large scattered parish and village, of a picturesque appearance, surrounded by the Cotswold Hills, and intersected by the river Colne; it includes the hamlets of Ablington and Arlington, with the chapelry of Winson; it is 6 miles north-west from Fairford, in the hundred of Brightwells Barrow, Northleach union and county court district, rural deanery of Fairford, archdeaconry of Bristol, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, East Gloucestershire. The church is an ancient structure, with a fine tower, spacious chancel, nave, and aisles; it comprises specimens of the Saxon, good Norman, Perpendicular, Decorated, and Early English styles of architecture. The living is a vicarage, of about £1,300 annual value, with residence, in the patronage of Lord Sherborne; the Rev. Henry Snow, M.A., is the incumbent. Here is a Baptist chapel; also National and British schools, and a police station. The population in 1861 was 899; the area is 4,975a. 1r. 14p. Lord Sherborne, Coxwell Rogers, Esq., and the Rev. Sir William Augustus Musgrave, bart, M.A., are lords of the manor. Hugh Weston left by will, for four bachelors, £18; the interest of £200 is given away in clothing to the poor annually. Bibury tithing had a population in 1861 of 371; Ablington tithing, 113; Arlington tithing, 415; Winson tithing, 181. The tithings of Ablington, Arlington and Winson are not distinctly rated to the poor. Bibury House is the residence of Lord Sherborne.

Shagborough, the seat of a Roman settlement, is three-quarters of a mile south; Coneygar, or Coneygore, another Roman site, is 1 mile and a half south-east.

Bibury.

Sherborne Lord, Bibury house

Snow Rev. Henry, M.A.[vicar],Vicarage

Arkell Martha (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Bowly William, miller

Brindle Robert, plasterer

Brownnett John, tailor

Burge Josph. plumber, painter & glazier

Burge Natbnl. saddler & harness maker

Garne William, farmer, Kilkenny farm

Jenkins Thomas, stonemason

Lees Ralph, butcher

Martin Mary (Mrs.), Swan

Saunders Charles, boot & shoe maker

Smith Wm. farmer, Bibury Hill farm

Trinder William, farmer, maltster & grocer

Trinder William, jun. miller

Post Office. — William Belcher, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Fairford.

British School, Miss Sarah Barrett, mistress

National School, Henry Harrison, master

Carrier to Cirencester. — John Pritchett, on monday, wednesday & friday

Ablington

Bartlett George, miller

Craddock Thomas, farmer

Hinks Wm. carpenter & wheelwright

Mills James, farmer

Mills William, farmer

Arlington.

Davis Rev. John [Baptist]

Norman Rev. George, M.A. [curate]

Reynolds Francis, esq

Adams James, blacksmith

Arkell Thos. carpenter & wheelwright

Belcher William, grocer & draper

Bridgman Thomas, tailor

Cook Edward, farmer, Arlington farm

Cooper John, cattle dealer

Embury William, boot & shoe maker

Goodrich Samuel, farmer

Groves John Phillips, farmer

Hathaway John, cooper & beer retailer

Iles Robert, blacksmith

Lea Albert, tailor & draper

Purnell William, baker & grocer

Reynolds Francis, surgeon

Richards Benj. saddler & harness maker

Spencer Joseph, butcher

Wilton John, shopkeeper

Winson.

Baker Edward, farmer

Cook Michael, farmer

Harris Thomas, carpenter

Hopkins Thomas, baker

Yells Elizabeth (Mrs.), farmer

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Northleach
  • Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar of Bibury
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Fairford
  • Poor Law Union: Northleach
  • Hundred: Bradley; Brightwells Barrow
  • Province: Canterbury