Berkeley, Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Berkeley is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire. Breadstone and Stone are chapelries of Berkeley.

Other places in the parish: the market-town of Berkeley, the chapelry of Stone, the tythings of Alkington, Hinton, and Ham, Newport and the hamlets of Radstone and Hamfollow.

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1562. Separate registers exist for Stone beginning in 1594.

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Berkeley

Historical Descriptions

Berkeley

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

BERKELEY, a parish in the upper division of the hund. of Berkeley, union of Thornbury, county of Gloucester. A branch of the Bristol and Gloucester railway, to join the one between Cheltenham and Swindon, intersects this parish. It comprises the market-town of Berkeley, the chapelry of Stone, the tythings of Alkington, Hinton, and Ham, and the hamlets of Radstone and Hamfollow. Living, a vicarage in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £32 15s. 7 1/2 d. Patron, in 1835, Lord Seagrave. The church is a spacious structure, in the pointed style of architecture. It contains some curious monuments, and is the burial-place of Jenner. The tower stands detached from the body of the church. There is a chapel-of ease at Stone. There are 21 daily and 5 Sunday schools in this parish. The charitable benefactions connected with it are very numerous, and produce £246 16s. 2d. per annum. In 1838 there was a cotton-mill, employing 27 hands, within this parish. The vale of Berkeley is celebrated for the excellence of its dairy-farms, and for the production of Gloucester cheese. Pop., in 1821, 3,835; in 1831, 3,899. Houses 707. Acres 14,680. A. P. £28,278. Poor rates, in 1837, £2,021.

The market-town of Berkeley, in the above parish, is 114 miles north by west of London, and 15 south-south-west of Gloucester, in the vicinity of the Gloucester and Bristol railway. It stands in the vale of Berkeley, on an eminence about a mile from the Severn, and on a small tributary of that river. It consists principally of four streets. The Independents have a place of worship here. There is some trade in timber, coal, malt, and cheese, which is facilitated by the vicinity of the Severn, and the Berkeley and Gloucester canal, which last is navigable for vessels of 600 tons burden. It extends in a course nearly parallel with the Severn, from a point on the eastern bank of the Severn, within 21 miles of Berkeley to Gloucester, a distance of 16 miles, and is connected with the town of Berkeley by a cut. The market-day is Wednesday, and a fair for cattle and pigs is held on May 14th. This town was a borough in the reign of Edward I.; but the charter of incorporation has been lost. It is governed by a mayor and 12 aldermen. Petty-sessions for the upper division of the hundred of Berkeley are held at the White Hart inn here. The qualified electors in Berkeley vote for the county-members for West Gloucestershire, under the new system of representation. Here is a free school for 39 boys, founded and endowed, in 1696, with lands, now producing £38 per annum, by Mr Samuel Thurner, in addition to which, lands producing £17 per annum were bequeathed by Mr John Smith. There are, besides, seven daily, and three Sunday schools, in this township. Berkeley was the birth place of the celebrated Dr Edward Jenner, who introduced the practice of vaccination. Having obtained a European reputation, and some wealth, he died here of apoplexy in 1823. This place is of great antiquity. Under the Saxons it was a place of importance, and is recorded in Domesday-book as a royal demesne and a free borough. The manor is one of the largest in the kingdom, having nearly 30 parishes dependent on it. It was granted by William the Conqueror to Roger de Berkeley, who built a castle here, about three-fourths of a mile from the town, on the south-east side. The grandson of the founder was deprived of his title and estates by Henry II., for his adherence to King Stephen; they were conferred on Robert Fitz-Harding, who assumed the title of Baron de Berkeley. In this castle — which Sir James Mackintosh pronounces to be 'the finest specimen of the smaller castellated architecture' — the unfortunate Edward II. was murdered in September, 1327, having been detained here in confinement under the nommal custody of the earl. A small apartment called the dungeon-room, with its original furniture, over the flight of steps leading into the keep, is shown as the place where the cruel murder was perpetrated. [See Walsingham, page 127. Holinshed, ii. 883.] This castle sustained a siege, in the reign of Charles I., against the army of the parliament, but was obliged to surrender, after a siege of nine days. The remains consist of the keep, flanked by three semicircular towers, and a square tower of more recent date. The entrance is under a massive arch, adorned with rich carvings; the area is circular, and enclosed with a moat. A portion of the structure has been modernized, and is the residence of Colonel Berkeley, who enjoys the estate, but not the title. In the different apartments of the castle, a series of family portraits is preserved, — including one of George Lord Berkeley, the friend of Burton, who dedicated his 'Anatomy of Melancholy' to his lordship. — “Here was an old religious house long before the Conquest, which might be the family at Berkeley, mentioned in the acts of a synod at Clovesho, in 1824. It is very doubtful whether it consisted of monks or of nuns, who were suppressed by the villany of Earl Godwin, in the time of Edward the Confessor, as related by Camden and others out of Walter Mapes. The hospital of St James and St John here is mentioned, Cart. 12° Hen. III. m. 4., wherein is a confirmation of several parcels of land wherewith it was endowed.” — Tanner's Not. Mon. Pop., in 1801, 658; in 1831, 760. Houses 177. Acreage with the parish. A. P. £1,600. Poor rates, in 1837, £277

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Alkington

Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Alkington, 1 mile S.E. Berkeley. P. 1175.

Source: Leonard's Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Alkington, a tything, in the parish, and Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, union of Thornbury, W division of the county of Gloucester, 1 ¼ mile (S. E.) from Berkeley; containing 1175 inhabitants. The village of Newport, on the great road from Gloucester to Bristol, is situated in this tything, and is the central posting-place between those cities; it contains two good hotels and several smaller inns. There is a place of worship for Independents.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840

Alkington, a tything in the parish and hund. of Berkeley, Gloucestershire; 1 1/4 mile south-east of Berkeley. It stands on the Severn. Pop., in 1801 816; in 1831, 1,167. Houses 193. A. P. £7,298. Poor rates, in 1837, £638.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.

Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Alkington, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Berkeley (113¾) 1 m. SE. Pop. 1101.

A tything and township in the parish of Berkeley, in the upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, situated on the river Severn

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Breadstone or Bradstone

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Breadstone, a tything in Berkeley parish, Gloucester; 2 miles NE of Berkeley. Pop., 129. Houses, 26.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Bradstone, a hamlet in the parish of Berkeley, upper division of the hund. of Berkeley, county of Gloucester; 2 miles north-east of Berkeley. Connected with this place, Hamfollow hamlet, and Hinton tything, there are seven daily schools. Pop., in 1801, 130; in 1831, 121. Houses 26. Acreage with the parish. Poor rates, in 1837, £110.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Bradstone, co. Gloucester.

P.T. Berkeley (114) 2 m. NE b E. Pop. 152.

A tything in the parish of Berkeley and upper division of the hundred of Berkeley; living, a chantry in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. 13l. 6s. 10½d.; chapel ded. to St. Michael; patronage with Berkeley vicarage.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Ham

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ham, included in Berkeley parish

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Hamfallow

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Hamfallow, a tything in Berkeley parish, Gloucester.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Purton

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Purton, a hamlet in Berkeley parish, Gloucester; on the river Severn, opposite the Lydney Purton, 3 miles N by W of Berkeley. It has a post-office under Berkeley. There is a ferry over the Severn between the two Purtons.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Lait William, Newport, Gloucestershire, victualler, Dec. 8, 1840.

Marklove Daniel, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, millman, Nov. 3, 1826.

Seaborn George, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, baker, Feb. 24, 1843.

Spier John, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, wine and spirit mercht., Oct. 14, 1831.

The London Gazette

Discharge of Prisoners

The people listed below were discharged as a prisoners in the debtors prison.

Joseph Long formerly of the White Hart Inn North Nibley Gloucestershire Innkeeper and Farmer and late of Berkeley heath near Berkeley Gloucestershire aforesaid Farmer - 27 March 1851 - The London Gazette

Directories

Berkeley Bennetts Business Directory 1899

Adams T, draper & grocer
Alpass G, furniture dealer
Alpass J, grocer, butcher & bacon curer, corn, flour, meal and provision factor, Salter St. All kinds of jellies, pickles, marmalades, cakes, biscuits, flour, &c.
Alpass T, grocer and ironmonger, Market place
Anstice H, draper, High st
Awdry Dr, surgeon, High st
Baker & Taylor, fancy repository, High st
Barber S, wine and spirit mcht, High st
Bell E M, milliner, dress & mantle maker and general draper, High st. Style and fit guaranteed
Bennett W, shoeing smith, &c. Salter st
Berkeley Arms, Family & Commercial Hotel –E Brown, proprietor. Posting, stabling & lock-up couch houses. ‘Bus meets all trains. All orders by post or otherwise promptly attended to.
Berkeley Castle Coffee Tavern, High St – E Lovelock. Accommodation for cyclists, Commercials & visitors. Terms moderate. Horses & waggonette for hire
Berkeley Gas Works, Salter st
Berkeley Hunt Inn, Salter st – J Palmer
Berkeley Institute, Market Place
Berkeley Temperance Hotel and Refreshment Rooms, Station rd & Salter st – H Merrett, proprietress. Good accommodation for commercials. Private sitting room. Parties catered for
Bird-in-Hand, Mary-le-Port st – A Haskins
Black Horse, Salter st – R  Reynolds
Boars Head Inn, Lynch Lane –W Browning
Boulton W, plumber, painter and glazier, Salter st
Britton Mrs fruiterer & fishmonger, High st
Brown E, wine and spirit mcht, Berkeley Arms Family & Commercial Hotel
Bruton H, Coal mcht, Salter st
Charles D, photographer, Salter st
Churchill J, baker, corn and flour dealer, Market Place
Churchill J, baker, Canonbury st
Codrington Misses, ladies boarding & day school, Mary-le-Port st
Cope E H. painter, &c., Mary-le-Port rd
Copeland Miss, boarding school, Canonbury st
Denning J, fancy stores, Mary-le-Port st
Fisher J B, hairdresser, Canonbury st
Garton A, ironmonger, Canonbury st
George Inn, Market Place
Greenfield T, bookseller & stationer, High st
Greenwood H, hairdresser, High st
Greenwood R, hairdresser, Market Place
Gregory E & Sons, builders
Grove W E, saddler Canonbury St
Gwinnett T H, boot & shoe maker, Canonbury st
Harris J & Sons, plumbers, High st
Heaven W, greengrocer and confectioner, Salter st
Holborn Family and Commercial Hotel, Berkeley Road Station
Isaac J, baker, grocer, provision mcht, and tobacconist
Isaac J, slate, tile and iron mcht, High st
James T, coach builder and wheelwright, Mary-le-Port st
King & Son, butchers, Salter st
King T, butcher & bacon factor, High st
Knight G, builder, Salter st
Knight T, shoeing and general smith
Lamb Inn, Market Place – T Knight
Lane A, surgeon, Salter st
Legge, Son & Pearce, auctioneers, Canonbury House
Lovelock E, coffee tavern, High st
Mabbett H J, coal and salt mcht, Berkeley Station Coal Wharf
McIntosh J, Berlin wool and fancy repository. Wools, crewel silks, embroidery cotton and thread. Traced linen and cloth work.
Mackintosh W, tailor and outfitter, High st
Mariners Arms, Salter st
Merrett A, boot & Shoe maker, Salter st. Repairs neatly executed. Town and country orders promptly attended to
Merrett H, boot and shoe maker, Market Place
Merrett L, milliner & draper, Salter st
Millard Mrs, confectioner, Canonbury st
Moffatt E, grocer and provision mcht
Moss E, grocer, Salter st
Noak W F, chemist, High st
Palmer P, Berkeley Hunt, Salter st
Parker W S, horse and cattle medicine dealer, High st
Pimms, hairdresser, Market Place
Prince of Wales Family & Commercial Hotel, Berkeley Road Station – H Holborow, proprietor – see advt
Provincial Bank, Market Place – F J, Sermon
Pruett W, hairdresser, Market Place
Reynolds S J, tailor, Canonbury St
Robinson W, draper & grocer, Salter st
Roulton W, plumber, Salter st
Rudge E watchmaker and jeweller, Market Place
Scott C, solicitor, Canonbury st
Scott H H, solicitor, Canonbury st
Smith E, printer & stationer, High st
Smith W H, hairdresser, Market Place
Stephens Dr, surgeon, Salter st
Thompson J, confectioner, High st
Timbell, dress & mantle maker, Salter st
Townsend W, china & glass dealer, High st
Vale of Berkeley Dairy Co. Ltd – A T Price, managing director – see advt
Vickstaff T, draper & grocer, High st
Vickerstaff T, clothier, Canonbury st
Wakeman G, watchmaker and jeweller, High st
Walters A, confectioner, Market place
Walters A T, baker, confectioner & pastry-cook, Canonbury st
Welham W, grocer and draper, High st
White Hart Hotel, High st – H Knight
White Lion Inn, High st
White Swan, High st – Miss Cope
Wood S, billposter, Mary Brook st
Woodward, carpenter, 3 Station rd

Adverts.

Prince of Wales
Family and Commercial Hotel
Berkeley Road Station
Berkeley
R Holborow – Proprietor
British & Foreign Wines, Spirits, & cigars
Horses and Carriages Let on Hire.

Vale of Berkeley Dairy Co., Ltd.,
Berkeley
A. T. Price – Managing Director
Butter, Cream, Milk & Cheese Factors.
Finest Separated Butter, Cream, New Milk.
Separated Milk. Single Gloster Cariphillry
Cheese.

Source: Bennetts Business Directory (Gloucestershire Section) 1899; Bennett & Co. Printers and Publishers, Birmingham.

Berkeley Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Berkeley is a parish, comprising the town of Berkeley, with the tithings of Alkington, Breadstone, Hamfallow, Hinton and Ham and Stone, corporate and market town, 114 miles from London, 15 south-south-west from Gloucester, and 7 from Thornbury, in Dursley county court district and rural deanery, Berkeley hundred, Thornbury union, Gloucester archdeaconry, and diocese of Gloucester and BristoI. It is situated near the navigable river Severn, about 24 miles from the Berkeley road station on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, and 3½, from the Gloucester and Berkeley canal. In the reign of Edward I. this town was a borough, but the charter has been annulled, though there is still a corporation. The petty sessions are held at the petty sessional court house for the upper division of the hundred. The church of St. Mary is a large and ancient stone edifice in the Early English or Pointed style, having a detached tower of much more recent erection. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of Lord Fitzhardinge; the Rev. John Seton-Karr, M.A., is the incumbent. There are a Free school and a British school, supported chiefly by voluntary contributions. The Independents and Wesleyans have each a place of worship here. The trade consists chiefly in coals, timber, malt, and cheese. Fairs are held on the 14th of May and 1st of December, for cattle and pigs, and additional markets are held on the first Wednesday in each month excepting those before mentioned. The manor embraces nearly thirty parishes, and is one of the most extensive in the kingdom. It was granted by William the Norman to Roger de Berkeley, who built the castle at the south-east side of the town; Henry II. deprived his successor of the title and estates for espousing the cause of Stephen, and conferred them upon Robert Fitzhardinge, who assumed the title of Baron de Berkeley. In this castle, after experiencing all the indignities and cruelties that could be conceived, the unfortunate Edward II. was murdered by his keepers — the Lords Gournay and Montravers; above the steps leading to the keep is a room called the dungeon, containing the original furniture, and is shown as having been the place where the deed was committed; the building is the residence of Lord Fitzhardinge, and is one of the finest and most perfect feudal fortresses in the kingdom. In this town was born and buried Dr. Edward Jenner, who introduced the practice of vaccination. Berkeley parish contained 4,316 inhabitants in 1861, and 13,420 acres. In Berkeley borough are 1,011 inhabitants; in Hamfallow tithing and the hamlets of Halmore and Wanswell, 692; in Hinton tithing and Purton hamlet, 620; in Breadstone tithing, 129; in Alkington tithing, 1,010; in Ham tithing and Stone chapelry, 854. Ham and Stone are united for the relief of the poor.

Parish Clerk, Edwin Drinkwater Ghosley.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Berkeley The Hon. Col. Francis Wm. Fitzhardinge, M.P. Wickselme

Clark Mrs. Clapton

Cooper John, esq. Newport

Cornock William, esq. Newport

Croome James, esq. Breadstone

Croome John, esq. Breadstone

Ellis Mrs

Fitzhardinge Right Hon. Lord, Berkeley castle

Hands Francis, esq

Harper Miss

Hickes George, esq

Hickes John Cox, esq

Humphreys Chas. Jones, esq. Acton ho

Hurd Rev. William [Independent]

Jones Mr. John, Clapton

Long Mr. Octavius, Ham

McLellan Cant. James, Middleton ho

Seton-Karr Rev. John M.A., j.p.[vicar]

Sutton Mrs

Woolright Mrs. Salter house

COMMERCIAL.

Adams George, farmer, Woodford

Adams Thomas, linendraper

Adams William, farmer, Woodford

Allen Charles, farmer, Heathfield

Allen James, baker

Allen Robert, farmer, Clapton

Andrews Mary (Mrs.), White Hart, Newport

Ayliffe Charles & James, carpenters & wheelwrights

Bailey Elias, farmer, Abwell

Bailey Henry, farmer, Wolgaston farm, Mobley

Baker John, grocer

Baldwin Caroline (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Barber Joseph, butcher & brewer

Barrett Henry, beer retailer, Halmore

Barton James, farmer, Oakleys farm

Bennett Joseph, farmer, Alkington

Birch Henry, Ship

Brown William, Old Bell, Alkington

Carter Giles, wheelwTight, Newport

Cary John, Berkeley Arms, & posting house

Clark Daniel, fancy repository

Clark Eliza (Miss), shoe warehouse

Clark Thomas, park keeper, Whitecliff park

Clutterbuck Fredk. farmer, Haynes frm

Clutterbuck Jno.jun.farmer,Buckets hill

Clutterbuck John, sen. farmer, Sisons

Cooke James Herbert, land steward to Lord Fitzhardinge

Coole Jasper, blacksmith & ironmonger

Cope George, plasterer

Cope John, Swan

Cornock Levi, farmer, Fishinghouse frm

Cornock Nicholas, farmer, Breadstone

Coupland Hannah (Miss), ladies' school

Cox James, farmer, Rookery farm

Cox Miss, farmer, Clapton

Cox Robert, farmer, Blanchworth

Creese Edmund, farmer, Halmore

Croome James, land agent & surveyor, Breadstone

Cullimore James, farmer, Swanley green

Dainton Henry, linendraper

Dash Emanuel, shoemaker

Daw George, stonemason

Daw Henry, farmer, Crawless farm

Dowell John, coal merchant

Dyer Henry, cabinet maker, Newport

Eley Ann (Mrs.), saddler

Evans James, farmer, Woodford

Fear Abraham, cooper

Ford Charles, farmer, Clapton

Galsford William, solicitor, clerk to the magistrates, clerk to the gas inspectors, commissioner for taking acknowledgments & for affidavits in all the courts

Hazard James, farmer, Panthurst

Ghosley Edwin Drinkwater, builder

Glover Wm. Alfred, wine & spirit mercht

Griffiths 'Anslem John, registrar of births & deaths & relieving officer

Hadley William Pearce, coal merchant & miller, Oil mills

Hands Francis, surgeon

Harding Stephen, farmer, Sanagar farm

Harris John, farmer, Breadstone

Hathway Wm. Henry, Mariner's Anns

Hewitt Robert, farmer, Michael's wood

Hickes George, solicitor

Hickes John Cox, surgeon

Hooper John, farmer, Kit's green

Hooper Thomas, brewer, Newport

Hooper Thos. farmr. Lyon farm, Newport

Humphreys Charles Jones, surgeon, Acton house

Hopkins John, Spread Eagle, Newport

Ingram Ann (Miss), Fox, Woodford

Isaacs James, grocer

Jones Daniel, farmer, New park

Jones Henry, farmer, Halmore

Jones John, farmer, Willis elm

King James, grocer

King Samuel, boot & shoe maker

King Thomas, blacksmith

Knight Edmund, baker, Woodford

Lane Samuel Edward, watchmaker

Legge David, auctioneers wine & spirit merchant

Leonard Geo. Nelmes, farmr. Brown's mill

Long Joseph, farmer, Berkeley heath

Long Octavius, steward to Lord Fitzhardinge, Ham

Long Robt. farmr. Peddington House frm

Mabbett John, omnibus proprietor

Mackintosh Alexander, linendraper & sub-distributor of stamps

Marling Oliver George, grocer & baker

Mason Samuel, school

Merritt William, mason

Moffatt Nathaniel, baker & grocer

National Provincial Bank of England (branch of) (Mr. W. Canu, manager), draw on London Joint Stock bank

Neale Benjamin, farmer, Oldminster

Neale Martin, farmer, Peddington

Oliver James, confectioner

Organ Charlotte (Miss), dressmaker, Newport

Organ David, Crown, Newport

Parslow William, farmer, Breadstone

Paskett Julia (Miss), ladies' school

Pearce Francis, farmer, Wanswell court

Pearce Robert, maltster

Pearce Thomas Taylor, farmer, Mobley farm, Alkington

Phillips George, farmer, Highfleld

Phillips Jas. Gastrill, plumber & glazier

Phillips John, grocer

Phillips John, shopkeeper

Phipps James, shoemaker

Pick Isaac, carrier, Woodford

Pick James, farmer, Vens

Pick Thomas, White Lion

Ponting Charles, farmer, Woodford

Ponting John, farmer, Saniger

Ponting William, farmer, Hamfield farm

Pool Henry, beer retailer

Poole Daniel, tailor

Pope William, grocer

Porter William, china & glass dealer

Povey Lewis, printer & bookseller

Pullen Henry Fitzherbert, chemist

Reynolds Robert, beer retailer & butcher

Rodway Thomas, tailor

Savage Samuel, farmer, Breadstone

Seek Charles, beer retailer & shoe maker, Mobley

Shatford John, fanner, Flood Gates farm, Ham green

Sheppard John, shopkeeper, Newport

Sheppard Thomas Bailey, rate & tax collector, & deputy registrar of births, deaths & marriages, Canon house

Shipway John, beer retailer, Newport

Smith Elias, farmer, Tanhouse farm

Smith Harriet (Mrs.), shoe dealer

Smith Joseph, farmer. Newport

Smith William, butcher

Sturge Joseph, haircutter

Summers William, grocer, Newport

Sutton Daniel, grocer & linendraper

Tratman Charles, farmer, Breadstone

Tratman Timothy, farmer, Breadstone

Warner Hester (Mrs.), chemist

Webster Swan, White Hart hotel & commercial house

Woodman Hester (Mrs.), beer retailer

Woolright Thomas, maltster

Worden William, farmer, Clapton

Post Office & Post Office Savings Bank. — Mary Dowell, postmistress. Letters are delivered at 6.45 a.m.; dispatched at 7.5 p.m. Money order office open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m

Magistrates (attending the petty sessions): — Lord Fitzhardinge, Rev. John Seton-Karr, M.A., Hon. Col. Berkeley, E. G. Hallewell, esq. Samuel Long, esq. Capt. Morse

Insurance Agents: —

Atlas, N. Moffatt

Clerical, Medical & General Life, Wm. Gaisford, esq

Law Fire, William Gaisford, esq

Norwich Union Life, A. Mackintosh

Royal Farmers' Fire & Life, David Legge

Sun Fire, Thomas Adams

Public Establishments: —

Excite Office, Berkeley Arms

Stamp Office, Alexander Mackintosh, sub-distributor

Police Station, John Shepherd, sergeant

Public Officers: —

Clerk to the Magistrates for the Upper Division of the Hundred, William Gaisford

Registrar of Births, Deatlis & Marriages, Anslem John Griffiths

Public Schools: —

Free, Rev. John Seton-Karr, M.A. master; William George, second master

British, William Dunstall, master; Miss White, mistress

Conveyance. — Omnibus from John Mabbett's to meet every train at the Berkeley road station

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Berkeley with Newport and Neighbours Slater’s Directory 1850

Berkeley is a parish comprising the borough of Berkeley and the tithings of Alkington, Breadstone, Hamfellow, Hinton and Ham, and the hamlet of Stone; in the hundred of Berkeley – the market town, small and respectable, is 114 miles W. by N. from London, 18 N. from Bristol, and 5 W. from Dursley – the last names situated on the Bristol and Gloucester line of railway.  The town is pleasantly seated in the beautiful and fertile vale of Berkeley, upon the banks of the small river Berkeley Avon, which runs into the Severn, about a mile distant.  The principal trade of the place is in coal, brought from the Forest of Dean; there is likewise some business in timber, malt, corn and cheese, for which last the country around is somewhat celebrated.  The Berkeley and Gloucester canal, navigable for vessels of four hundred tons burden, passes to the north of the town; and the river Severn, before-mentioned, flows some short distance to the west.  A neat market house and town hall, of Bath stone, is of modern date.  Courts leet and baron are held annually, at Michaelmas, at the Berkeley Arms Inn, under the representatives of the lord of the manor, Earl Fitzhardinge; and the magistrates sit in petty sessions at the White Hart Inn one in three weeks.  The town was a borough in the reign of Edward I, but having lost its charter of incorporation, is now within the jurisdiction of the county magistrates; the ancient custom of electing a mayor is still annually observed, but his office is merely nominal.

The parish church of Saint Mary is a spacious structure, chiefly in the early style of English architecture, with a tower of more modern date, entirely separated from the body of the church; the living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Earl Fitzharding; the Rev. John Seton Karr is the present incumbent.  The Independents and Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel each; and there are public schools for children of either sex – including one upon the British system, supported partly by voluntary subscriptions and partly by the pupils, and a free school founded in 1696.  The principal seat in this district is Berkeley Castle; the ancient baronial mansion of the Berkeley family – founded by Roger de Berkeley soon after the Conquest; it has been the scene of various memorable transactions – the most remarkable, perhaps, was the murder of Edward II, in September, 1327.  The castle stands on a rising ground among meadows, commanding a delightful view of the river Severn and the surrounding country.  Berkeley is the birth and burial place of Doctor Edward Jenner, who introduced the practice of vaccination.  The market is held in Tuesday; and the fairs May 14th and December 1st, for cattle.  The parish of Berkeley contained in 1831, 3,899 inhabitants, and in 1841, 4,405.

Newport is a small pleasant village about 2 miles S.E. from Berkeley.  Previous to the opening of the neighbouring railway it was a place of some thoroughfare, and derived a little business from that circumstance; but now it is fast going to decay, and its inhabitants rapidly diminishing in number.

Post Office, Berkeley, Mary Dowell, Post Mistress. – Letters from London and the North and various other places arrive every morning at a quarter before six, and are despatched at five minutes before seven in the evening.
Letters from Bristol and places South and West arrive every evening at eight, and are despatched at a quarter past four in the morning.

Nobility, Gentry, and Clergy.

Alpass Mrs. Esther, Berkeley
Bailey Mr. Henry, Berkeley
Bailey Mr. Joseph, Berkeley
Bailey Mr. Wm. Abwell Berkeley
Croome Mr. James, Breadston
Ellis William Joyner, Esq. (coroner for the county), Wickselme
Fitzhardinge the Right Honble. the Earl of, Berkeley Castle
Hickes Captain Augustus, Berkeley
Jenner Lieut.Col. Robt. Fitzhardinge
Karr Rev. John Seton, Berkeley
Lester Mrs. Mary, Berkeley
Long Octavius, Esq. Berkeley
Marsh Mr, John, Berkeley
Morgan John H. B. Esq., Berkeley
Parsloe Mrs. Maria, Berkeley
Pike Miss Sarah Mary, Berkeley
Slatterly Rev. John, Berkeley

Academies & Schools

Bateman Alice (boarding and day)
British School – John Hill Beale, master; Caroline Beale, mistress
Free School – Rev. John Seton Karr, master
King Robert Pearce (day).
Infant’s School – Mary Luce, mistress

Professional Persons, at Berkeley.

Gaisford William, attorney & clerk to the magistrates
Hands Francis, surgeon
Hickes George, attorney
Hickes John Cox, surgeon
Jenner Henry, physician, Stone
Orton Thomas, surgeon

Fire, &c., Office Agents, at Berkeley.

Clerical, Medical and General (life). William Gaisford
General, Thomas Orton
Phoenix, Timothy Tratman
Royal Farmers’ and General, David Legge

Inns & Public Houses, at Berkeley when not otherwise mentioned.

Berkeley Arms Inn (and inland revenue office), John Cary
Crown Inn, Thos. Hooper, Newport
George, Henry Cook
Mariners’ Arms, John Parslow
Old Bell, William Parslow, Berkeley heath
Railway Inn, Thomas Ivey
Spread Eagle, John Hopkins, Newport
Swan, Henry Swinchcombe
White Hart Inn, George Elliott
White Hart, Enoch Woodward, Newport
White Lion, Swan Webster

Shopkeepers & Traders, at Berkeley when not otherwise mentioned.

Alpass Thomas, butcher
Baggs James, beer retailer
Bailey Richd. book seller & stationer
Barber Harriet, linen draper
Box John, watch & clock maker
Broadstock Mary, beer retailer
Brownjohn James, beer retailer
Burley Thos., blacksmith, Newport
Clark Ann, dress maker
Clark Caroline, straw bonnet maker
Clark Elizabeth, shopkeeper
Clark James, shopkeeper
Cook Henry Herbert, land agent
Croome John, tanner
Daniels Walter, beer retailer
Dash Edward, boot & shoe maker
Daw George, stone cutter
Day Thomas, butcher
Edmonds Charles, saddler, Newport
Eley Jas, saddler & harness maker
Fear Abraham, cooper
Ghostley Edwin, stone mason
Glover Wm. Alfred, wine & spirit dealr
Hadley William, Pearce, coal dealer
Hale Elias, tailor
Hazel William, beer retailer
Howell Job, beer retailer
Keene Thomas, boot & shoe maker
King Hannah & Sarah & Co. grocers and tea dealers
King James, shopkeeper
King Samuel, boot & shoe maker
King Thomas, blacksmith
Latch John, ironmonger & blacksmith
Latch Henry, stone mason & statuary
Launder Richard, shopkeeper
Legge Davis, wine & spirit dealer, auctioneer and appraiser
Mabbett John, livery stable keeper
Mackintosh Alexander, linen draper
Marling George, shopkeeper
Merrett Joseph, builder
Muffitt Nathaniel, baker
Parsons Henry, tailor
Pearce Robert, maltster
Phillips James, Gastrell, plumber & glazier, and china dealer
Phipps James, boot & shoe maker
Poole Daniel, tailor
Pope William, grocer & druggist
Powell George, scale board maker, Newport
Reeves Benjamin, watch and clock maker
Rodway Thomas, tailor
Sheppard John, Newport
Smith Harriet, boot & shoe maker
Smith Wm. butcher & shopkeeper
Smith William, grocer
Sturge Joseph, hair dresser
Sutton Daniel, grocer & draper
Tilton William, brazier & tinman
Tratman Timothy, grocer & draper
Warner George, chemist & druggist
Watts Joseph, boot & shoe maker
Woolwright Thomas, maltster

Conveyance By Railway
on the Bristol and Gloucester Line

Station, Berkeley Road, nearly three miles from the town.

Carriers,
From their respective houses.

To Bristol, John Tilley & Isaac Pick, on Thursday
To Gloucester, John Mabbett’s van, every Wednesday and Saturday morning, at half-past seven and Jonathan Hopkins, on Saturday.

Source: Slater’s Directory (Gloucestershire Section) 1850

Berkeley Gloucestershire Universal British Directory 1791

Pleasantly situated on a branch of the Severn, is a very ancient corporated town, under the government of a mayor and twelve aldermen: is has also a court for the recovery of small debts, held every three weeks, by the steward of the lord of the manor.  The castle of Berkeley is a noble Gothic structure, and has been for several centuries the residence of the Earls of Berkeley.  It was begun to be built in the reign of Henry I and finished in that of Stephen, and was enlarged and repaired in the reign of Henry II.  Its hall is very large and much admired.  It stands on a rising ground among the meadows, commanding a delightful view of the surrounding country and river Severn.  In the civil wars it suffered considerably; as it did a few years since by an accidental fire.

The present building consists of a range of apartments round an irregular court.  The room in which king Edward II was imprisoned is still to be seen.  The town consists chiefly of one street of mean buildings. – The church is a large handsome edifice; the tower, which is new, stands at a distance from it.  In the church are some elegant monuments of the Berkeleys, who now have a vault built for the family.  The Severn, for almost 6 miles, runs by this parish, which lies so low, that it is reckoned neither pleasant nor healthy, but it is famous for producing good cheese.  The town carries on a considerable trade in timber, coal, malt, and cheese: it has a weekly market on Tuesday, and an annual fair on the 14th of May.  At one mile distant is the village of Newport, through which passes the great road from Bath, Bristol, &c. to the North of England, via Gloucester. At Newport are three good inns, (particularly the Lion inn and post-office,) well provided with accommodation for travellers.  Post in and out every day; Christian Halling, post-master.  In this parish are very extensive linseed-oil mills, the property of John Cave, Esq. of Bristol.  Berkeley has several sloops that navigate the Severn, but none that are any ways constant in their passage to or from any particular place.  The living of Berkeley is in the gist of Earl Berkeley; it is worth about 300l per annum.  It is the largest parish in the county.  The name of the place is derived from Berk, a beech, and Leas, pasture: it consists chiefly of rich meadow-grounds; and above 30 parishes depend on this manor, for which a fee-farm rent was paid, in king Henry II’s time, of 500l 17s 2d which shews the vast extent and value of this estate.  Berkeley is distant from London 113 miles, Bristol 18, Gloucester 16, Dursley 5, and Thornbury 8.  The following are the principal inhabitants:

Gentlemen

Bromedge John Hooper, Gent. (F.)

Bick John, Gent.

Croome James, Gent. (F.)

Cox John Gent. (F.)

Cornock John, Gent. (F.)

Cornock William, Gent. (F.)

Cornock William, Gent. (F.) Wick

Hickes Nicholas, Esq. (F.)

Hickes Nathaniel, Gent. (F.)

Hickes John, Gent. (F.)

Jenkins Stivard, Esq. (F.)

Pearce Edward, Gent. (F.)

Pick James, Gent. (F.)

Webb Thomas, Esq. (F.)

Wiltshire Anthony, Gent. (F.)

Clergy

Hupsman Rev. Aug. Tho. (F.) Vicar

Jenner Rev. Stephen, (F.) Clerk

Physic

Hands John Cornelius, Surgeon

Jenner Edward, F.R.S. (F.) Surgeon

Law

Cox John, (F.) Attorney

Hickes Nicholas, (F.) Attorney

Pearce Thomas, (F.) Attorney

Traders, &c.

Andrews Thomas, (F.) Smith

Black Mary

Clutterbuck Thomas, (F.) Grazier

Croome John, (F.) Tanner

Clark John, (F.) Builder

Clark Robert, Builder

Chandler Richard, Hatter

Davidge George, (F.) Plaisterer

Grafton William, Taylor and Draper

Gwynne Thomas, (F.) Soapboiler

Gillman Elizabeth

Hickes Thomas, (F.) Cheesefactor

Halling John, (F.) Brewer

Hopkins John, (F.) Taylor & Draper

Joynor Wm. (F.) Merchant & Coroner

Jones Thomas, Mealman

Irish Sarah, Butcher

Kingscote Elizabeth, Mercer

Latche Sarah, Mercer

Long Francis, Smith

Luce Lawrence, Peruke-maker

Merrett William, Coal-merchant

Marklove Daniel, (F.) Clothier

Marklove John, (F.) Cheesefactor

Neale Jane, Innkeeper

Neale Thomas, (F.) Salesman

Nicholas John, (F.) Schoolmaster

Niblett Richard, (F.) Glazier

Pearce Thomas, (F.) Merchant

Pearce James and Thomas, Smiths

Pearce Daniel, Collar-maker

Pearson James, Woolcomber

Parslow William Law. (F.) Grazier

Parslow John, Shoe-maker

Phillips John, Glazier

Russell James, (F.) Merchant

Russell John, Baker

Sheppard George, (F.) Maltster

Spillman William, (F.) Cheesefactor

Summers John, Mercer

Smith Mary, Innkeeper

Smith Richard, Butcher

Smith George, Butcher

Sidney Elizabeth, Innkeeper

Wallington Charles, Innkeeper

Winterson William, Innkeeper

Whitfield Jonah, Mealman

Woolright Tho. (F.) Timber-merchant

On the right of the road is Stanley, a little market-town, where was formerly a priory, the ruins whereof still appear.  The church is built in the form of a cross, with a tower in the middle.  A noble improvement has been made in these parts; for the Earl of Berkeley has finished a great bulwark at Frampton-upon-Severn, near this place, called Hock-Crib, the design of which is to enforce the river Severn, by Art’s-Point, into its former channel.  From Frampton the flowing tide runs in a straight line for about four miles in length Westward, with such rapidity, that, on its reaching the foot of an hill, on the left side of the ancient forest of Dean, and turning round to the Northward, it gathers into a head, that looks like an high weir across the river’s breadth; bearing every thing before it, till it comes to Newnham’s Nob, a natural bulwark, which turns the torrent so to the Eastward, that, when it reaches the North of Frampton, the land between the two parts of the river is but about a mile in breadth.

Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 2.

Bankrupts

Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.

Marklove Charles and Henry, Berkeley, Gloucestersh., clothiers, Sept. 5, 1826.

Marklove Daniel, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, millman, Nov. 3, 1826.

Seaborn George, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, baker, Feb. 24, 1843.

Spier John, Berkeley, Gloucestershire, wine and spirit mercht., Oct. 14, 1831.

 

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Thornbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Dursley
  • Poor Law Union: Thornbury
  • Hundred: Berkeley (Gloucestershire)
  • Province: Canterbury