Baunton Gloucestershire Family History Guide

Baunton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church: St Mary Magdalene

Parish registers begin: 1625

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to Baunton

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BAUNTON, a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester; on the Churn river and the Fosse way, 2 miles N of Cirencester r. station. Post Town, Cirencester. Acres, 1,340. Real property, £1,596. Pop., 122. Houses, 29. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and bristol. Value, £67. Patron, Miss Masters. The church is very good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Baunton, a parish in the hund. of Crowthorne, and Minety, union of Cirencester, county of Gloucester; 2 miles north of Cirencester, near the Roman foss-way, which passes the eastern border of the parish. Living, a curacy not in charge, in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, valued at £15; gross income £67. Patroness, in 1835, Miss Masters. There are a daily and a Sunday school here. Pop., in 1801, 108; in 1831, 144. Houses 30. Acres 1,310. A. P. £1,251. Poor rates, in 1837, £82.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Poll Books

Baunton Poll Book 1834 - Google Books

Directories

Baunton Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Baunton in a small parish in Cirencester union, containing by the census of 1861, 122, and in 1871, 152 inhabitants, and 1310 acres; in the deanery of Cirencester, archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, East Gloucestershire, 1 ¼ mile north from Cirencester; bounded on the east by the Roman Fossway, and on the west by the river Churn. The vicarage is valued at £100 per annum, and is in the patronage of Thomas W. C. Master, Esq. The Rev. Henry Bubb, of Daglingworth, is curate in sole charge. The church is a small edifice, dedicated to St. Christopher, consisting of nave and chancel, with belfry containing two bells. There is an infant school. Thomas W. C. Master, Esq., is lord of the manor and sole owner of the parish. The rateable value of this paid is £1496.

Trades and Professions

Barker Miss Jane, Infant schoolmistress

Carter Henry, parish clerk

Greenway William, shopkeeper

Merchant Mrs. Harriet, shopkeeper

Penson William Stayt, farmer

Porter Thomas, farmer

Letters through Cirencester, which is also the nearest money order office.

Infant School – Miss Jane Barker, mistress

Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Baunton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Baunton is a parish and small village, 1 mile and a quarter north of Cirencester, bounded on the west by the river Churn, and the Roman fossway on the east. It is in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, Cirencester union, county court district and rural deanery, archdeaconry of Bristol, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, East Gloucestershire. The population in 1861 was 122; the acreage is 1,336. The church of St. Christopher is a small building, consisting of a nave, without either tower or chancel, but has a belfry containing 2 bells. The living is a perpetual curacy, annual value £67, in the gift of the representatives of Lady Carteret, who are sole owners of the Parish. Here are infant schools. The incumbent is the Rev. George Masters. M.A. (non-resident). The soil is clayey, and the subsoil rock.

Parish Clerk, William Rook.

Butt Henry, farmer

Butt James, farmer

Greenway William, shopkeeper

Porter Thomas, farmer

Letters through Cirencester, which is the nearest money order office

Infant Schools, Mrs. Jane Barker, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Baunton Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Baunton is a township, parish, and small village, 1 ½ miles north of Cirencester, bounded on the west by the river Churn, and the Roman fossway on the east. It is in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, Cirencester Union, East Gloucestershire, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The population, in 1851, was 134; the acreage is 1, 336. The church of St. Christopher is a small building, consisting of a nave, without either tower or chancel. The living is in the gift of Miss Master, who is the freeholder of the parish. The incumbent is the Rev. George W. Ireland. The soil is clayey, and the subsoil rock.

Traders.
Bedwell Alfred, farmer
Butt Henry, farmer
Porter Thomas, farmer

Letters through Cirencester, which is also the nearest money order office.

Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Cirencester
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 - Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Cirencester
  • Poor Law Union: Cirencester
  • Hundred: Crowthorne and Minety
  • Province: Canterbury