Batsford Gloucestershire & Worcestershire Family History Guide

Batsford is an Ancient Parish partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Worcestershire.

Alternative names: Battisford

Parish church: St. Mary

Parish registers begin: 1562

Parishes adjacent to Batsford

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

BATSFORD, or Battisford, a parish in the district of Shipston-on-Stour, and county of Gloucester; near the Stratford railway and the Fosse way, 2 miles NW of Moreton. Post Town, Moreton-in-the-Marsh. Acres, 932. Real property, £2,075. Pop., 130. Houses, 22. The property is not much divided. Batsford Park is the seat of Lord Redesdale. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £370. Patron, Lord Redesdale. The church was rebuilt in 1862.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Batsford, or Battesford, a parish in the upper division of the hund, of Kiftsgate, county of Gloucester; 2 miles north-west of Moreton, in the neighbourhood of the Moreton and Stratford railway. Living, a rectory, formerly in the dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; valued at £13 3s. 9d.; gross income £395; in the patronage of the dean and canons of Christ-church, Oxford. There is a Sunday school here, and the children belonging to the parish have the privilege of attending an endowed school at Moreton-in-the-Marsh. The great Roman road to Cirencester pusses through this parish, and there are traces of a Roman intrenchment. Pop., in 1801, 89; in 1831, 107. Houses 19. Acres 980. A. P. £2,004. Poor rates, in 1837, £128

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Batsford, co. Gloucester.

P. T. Moreton (80) 2 m. NW. Pop. 108.

A parish in the upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate; living, a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; charged in K. B. 13l. 3s. 9d.; church ded. to St. Mary; patron, Christ Church College, Oxford.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831

BATSFORD, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of KIFTSGATE, county of GLOUCESTER, 2 miles (N. W.) from Moreton in the Marsh, containing 108 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester, rated in the king's books at £13. 3. 9., and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ-church, Oxford. This parish enjoys the benefit of an endowed school at Moreton in the Marsh.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831

Batsford Marriages 1565 to 1812

Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol VI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews

Transcriptions

Batsford Marriages 1754 to 1812

Volume II.

Thomas Ellis, of Bourton-on-ye-Hill, w., & Margaret Hardyman, w., 17 Oct. 1754

Thomas Parker & Mary Rouse, of Blockley, lic., 15 Jan. 1761

Thomas Rogers, of Rowington, & Sarah Dee, of Campden, lic., 23 Mar. 1761

Thomas Minchin, w., of Moreton-in-Marsh, & Mary Temperon, lic., 24 Jan. 1765

James Hyatt & Elizabeth Becket, lic., 18 Jan. 1766

Thomas Hathaway & Ann Plumb, 12 Oct. 1767

 
Thomas Parker, w., & Elizabeth Ball, 27 Apr. 1769

Charles Cornbill, of Stow, & Mary Gardener, 26 July 1772

Joseph White & Elizabeth Smith, 17 Aug. 1772

William Mayo, of Moreton-in-Marsh, & Hannah Hyatt, lic., 23 Feb. 1773

William Grinnel, of Whitechurch, & Katherine Knibbs, 8 Jan. 1775

John Taylor, of Moreton-in-Marsh, & Ann Smith, 4 Nov. 1776

John Nevil & Sarah Knight, 24 Jan. 1779

William Morris, of Moreton-in-Marsh, & Mary Groves, lic., 1 May 1780

Thomas Boulter, of Brailes, & Sarah Cowley, 4 Dec. 1780

George Ellis, & Matilda Atkins, of Moreton-in-Marsh, 7 Oct. 1783

William Plumb & Mary Sellar, 25 Nov. 1783

James Beezley & Jane Clifton, 25 Oct. 1784

Thomas Kirby, of Moreton-in-Marsh, & Ann Reeves, 18 July 1785

John Dorsit & Ann Brian, lic., 16 Jan. 1786

William Holloway, of Upper Norton, co. Oxford, w., & Mary Plumb, 18 June 1787

Joseph Bartlet & Ann Gardner, 5 Aug. 1787

William Hine & Sarah Horseley, of Moreton-in Marsh, 15 Oct. 1787

John Ivens & Elizabeth Roberts, 24 July 1788

William Peacey, of Eastington, w., & Eleanor Barnett, w., lic., 28 Jan. 1789

Richard Roberts & Bel Plumb, 4 May 1790

William Luckett, of Dorn, & Mary Riley, 21 June 1790

William Holloway, of Blockley, & Ann Morris, lic., 11 Sept. 1792

Charles James, of Temple Guiting, w., & Mary Campion, 5 Oct. 1793

William White & Mary Luckett, w., lic., 19 May 1796

John Norledge & Hannah Harris, 4 Dec. 1796

James Castle, of Chastleton, & Mary Tidmarsh, ---- 1798

William Alcock, of Northwick, & Betty Parker, lic., 27 June 1802

William Dodd, of Moreton-in-Marsh, & Elizabeth Rouse, 15 Aug. 1802

Joseph Hardwick, of Blockley, & Elizabeth Whitehead, 8 Sept. 1804

Thomas Hathaway & Sarah White, lic., 18 Feb. 1808

Peter Wells & Mary Stanley, ---- 1811

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol VI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Batsford Marriages 1700 to 1753

Ebron Lane & Katherine Cogbill, 10 May 1700

John Buttler & Alice Bennett, 18 Sept. 1700

William Powell & Eleanor Smith, 14 Nov. 1700

Thomas Southam & Hannah Charles, 13 Aug. 1701

Francis Keble, of Lochload, & Mary Sherwood, of Fouxsbury, 26 Jan. 1701

Daniel Hardiman & Ann Miles, 5 Apr. 1702

Zachariah Hortley & Elizabeth Rose, 5 Apr. 1702

Thomas White of Chipping Campden, & Ann Windle, 28 Sept. 1702

James Prockter, of Broad Campden, & Lucy Powell, of Barton, 20 June 1703

Moses Savage & Susanna Buckingham, 2 Nov. 1703

John Hyron & Mary Phipps, 8 Nov. 1703

Thomas Eden & Elizabeth Grey, - 1704

Richard Wells & Mary Daniell, 30 Sept. 1707

Joseph Mathews & Ann Trustrum, 20 Feb. 1709

George Webb & Ann Baylis, 9 Oct. 1711

William Parker & Eleanor Fletcher, 4 Feb. 1711

John Williams & Martha Herbert, of Swell, 31 Dec. 1712

John Hiron & Martha Moseley, 12 Apr. 1714

Thomas Wells & Sara Digge, 15 Oct. 1716

William Wilks & Anne Smith, 12 Oct. 1720

Edw. Chapman & Sara Davis, 20 Oct. 1720

Joseph Waring & Margaret Horton, 10 Dec. 1720

John Martin & Katherine Jackson, 13 Aug. 1725

Thomas Pool & Ann Swift, 27 Dec. 1725

John Lomly & Joan James, 9 Apr. 1726

Mr. Hains & Ann Wilson, 30 Apr. 1730

James Wareham, of Lower Swell, & Martha Rogers, of Stow, 29 July 1732

John Hardiman & Mary Horseley, 4 Oct. 1732

Thomas Dutton, of Barton-on-the-Heath, & Mary Gillett, of Moreton Hindmarsh [sic], 24 Mar. 1735

Joseph Perry & Sarah Shirley, of Little Compton, 30 Apr. 1737

Michael Horseley & Hannah Wainwright, 4 June 1738

William Harris & Elizabeth Waters, b. of Moreton-Hindmarsh, 19 June 1738

Daniel Hardiman & Margaret Buzzell, 18 Aug. 1738

Thomas Hobbs of Broadway, & Mary Philips, of Dorn, lic., 17 Jan. 1739

Mr. William Badham, of Worcester, & Mrs. Susanna Easton, lic., 10 Aug. 1741

Henry Stephens & Margaret Darwood, b. of Campden, 14 Oct. 1741

Antony Harwood, of Ilmington, & Mary Harris, of Moreton, 18 Aug. 1745

John Head, esq., of Hodcot, co. Berks, & Lucy Harward, of Bourton-on-Hill, lic., 28 May 1747

Source: Gloucestershire Parish Register. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol VI. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Poll Books

Poll Book 1834, Batsford Gloucestershire - Google Books

Poll Book 1834, Batsford Gloucestershire

Below are the names of those that voted in the election of August 1834 between Christopher William Codrington, Esquire, and Charles Hanbury Tracy Leigh, Esquire. For more information see Poll Book 1834.

Poll Book of the Election, August 1834 for the Eastern Division of the County of Gloucester.

Campden Polling District

Batsford Parish

NameResidenceQualificationWhere Situate
Clark StephenBatsfordrenter of house &cBatsford
Ellis JohnBatsford Heath farmrenter of landHeath Farm
Ellis ThomasBlenheim farmrenter of house &cBatsford
Hall John RobertRectory House dittorectory houseditto
Marshall John“Blockley Worcestershire”renter of landBatsford

Parish Records

FamilySearch

Online Records (Free)

FamilySearch – Birth Marriage & Death records, Census, Migration & Naturalization and Military records – Free

Census returns for Batsford, 1841-1891

Bishop's transcripts for Batsford, 1599-1812

Parish register printouts of Batsford, Gloucester, England, christenings, 1599-1751

Directories

Batsford Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876

Batsford is a village and parish in Shipston-on-Stour union, containing by the census of 1861, 130, and in 1871, 97 inhabitants, with 919 acres of land; in the hundred of Kiftsgate, deanery of Campden, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, East Gloucestershire, 1 ½ mile north-west from Moreton Station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton Railway. 5 south from Chipping Campden, 28 north-east from Gloucester, and 85 from London. The rectory, valued at £370 per annum, with residence, is in the incumbency of the Rev. Cyril G. Hutchinson, M. A., honorary Canon of Gloucester and Rural Dean, and in the patronage of Lord Redesdale. The church is a handsome edifice, in the Anglo-Norman style, and consists of nave and chancel, with a tower surmounted by a spire; it is dedicated to St. Mary, and was rebuilt in 1860, by Miss Mitford, sister to Lord Redesdale. It will seat 120. The rateable value of the parish is £1913.

Batsford Park House is a handsome mansion, in the midst of a park well stocked with deer, and is the seat of Lord Redesdale, who is lord of the manor and owner of the parish.

Clergy and Gentry

Hutchinson Rev. Cyril G., M.A., The Rectory

Malcolm Miss Grace

Redesdale Right Hon. Lord, Batsford Park

Trades and professions

Callaway William, head carpenter to Lord Redesdale

Ellis James, farmer, Blenheim farm

Peach Thomas, parish clerk, Moreton

Scovell John, steward to Lord Redesdale

Letters though Moreton-in-the-Marsh, which is the nearest money order office. Box cleared at 4.30 p.m. on week-days only

Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.

Batsford Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Batsford is a township, parish, and small village, about 1 ½ miles from the Moreton station on the Oxford, Worcester and Wolverhampton line of railway, 28 from Gloucester, and 5 from Campden, in Kiftsgate Hundred, Shipston-on-Stour Union, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church is a small stone building, with 1 bell. The living is a rectory; the Rev. Cyril G. Hutchinson is the incumbent. The population, in 1851, was 107; the acreage contained in the parish is 919 acres. The Right Hon. Lord Redesdale is lord of the manor.

Gentry.
Hutchinson Rev. Cyril G. (rector)
Malcolm Mrs.
Redesdale Rt. Hon. Lord, Batsford pk

Traders.
Clark Stephen, farmer
Ellis James, farmer
Ellis Thomas, farmer
Hunt – , steward to Lord Redesdale

Letters through Moreton-in-the-Marsh, which is also the nearest money order office.

Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol.  Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.

Batsford Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Batsford is a parish and small village, about 1 mile and a half from the Moreton station on the West Midland line of railway, 28 from Gloucester, 5 from Campden, and 85 from London, in Kiftsgate hundred, Shipston-on-Stour union and county court district, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Mary, rebuilt in 1861-2, is a handsome stone building in the Norman style, consisting of nave, chancel, tower and spire with 1 bell. The living is a rectory, annual value £370, with residence, in the gift of Lord Redesdale; the Rev. Cyril G. Hutchinson, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, is the incumbent and rural dean. The population in 1861 was 130; the acreage contained in the parish is 919 acres. Lord Redesdale is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. Batsford Park House, the seat of Lord Redesdale, is a handsome stone building, situated in a park well stocked with deer.

Parish Clerk, Thomas Peach.

Hutchinson Rev. Cyril G. M.A. [rector]

Malcolm Mrs

Redesdale Lord, Batsford Park house

Ellis James, farmer

Ellis Thomas, farmer

Scovell John, steward to Lord Redesdale

Letters through Moreton-in-Marsh, which is also the nearest money order office.

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Shipston on Stour
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 - Gloucester, Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Campden
  • Poor Law Union: Shipston on Stour
  • Hundred: Kiftsgate
  • Province: Canterbury